Monday, July 5, 2010

Movie Review

My hubby and I were surfing Netflix and he actually picked a sci-fi movie! You have no idea how rare this is. He probably picked it because it didn't have aliens, was set on our planet, and had a really awesome concept.

Surrogates You can watch the trailer HERE.

Tagline: How do you save humanity when the only thing that's real is you?

Plot: Set in a futuristic world where humans live in isolation and interact through surrogate robots, a cop (Willis) is forced to leave his home for the first time in years in order to investigate the murders of others’ surrogates resulting in the owners' death.

My take? Totally my kind of movie! The idea behind this whole thing is mind boggling. The scariest thing is I can see this happening. We are already addicted/attached--whatever you want to call it--to the internet and the social world it provides us. Think of all those simulation role play worlds online that people live in because it's easier and safer than leaving the house and meeting real people. In real life we can get hurt physically and emotionally. Online we can be whoever we want, creating our own safe little world where we can control the variables.

All we need to live this surrogate life is the technology to link our brains to a robot that looks human.  You know people would shell out all kinds of money for something like that.

I thought of so many questions watching this movie. Here are just a few:

1. Crime went down because of surrogates. Why? Seems like crime would go up because if the cops shot you, you would not actually be damaged in any way.
2. What about continuation of the species? Husbands and wives were no longer interacting with each others real bodies if you know what I mean. The birth rate would seriously decrease.
3. Doctors verses engineers. Would doctors become less qualified for certain kinds of operations? It a surrogate is in a car crash you buy a new one or have it repaired. People are probably dieing from laziness more than anything else.
4. Why in the world would you voluntarily stop feeling things. Your brains moves the surrogate around, but you don't actually feel anything. In a car chase, your heart rate doesn't increase because you are not in any real danger. Sky diving would lose the adrenaline rush. That kind of thing.

Here are some of my favorite moments, and funnily enough, none of them are the action parts.

1. Bruce Willis' character walks out of the hospital and into the world for the first time in years with his real body. You can feel how tense he is, how anxious. His eyes dart everywhere, he flinches at the slightest touch and loud noise.

2. Every time someone unplugs, you see how weak they are. They move slowly, carefully, because their  muscles have atrophied from lack of use.

3. When Willis' character tells his wife's surrogate that he misses his wife. She says, "I'm your wife." And he replies, "No you're not." Unfortunately, she walks away and it was heart breaking, but there is a happier moment waiting in their future.

I enjoyed the movie and recommend it. Maybe we should vote the first week of August as national unplug week? We could actually live some life and gain more experience to infuse our WIPs with.

9 comments:

  1. Great tagline. Why can't mine ever come out that concise?

    Thanks for the awesome review. Kind of makes me want to see the movie. Maybe my husband and I can rent the DVD when it comes out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That definitely sounds like a movie I'd enjoy. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the review.

    Also, stop by my blog to pick up an award for yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't seen this one yet, but it's on my list. I love the concept... and Bruce Willis, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen it, but it sounds good. I'll have to push it up on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Might have to check this one out...

    Charity, I dropped in because I saw your comment over on Kristin Nelson's blog and wanted to tell you, "Yes! Kristin Nelson - and her newer (read: hungrier) colleague, Sara Megibow - both rep fantasy and science fiction!" So you should definitely query her:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I left a comment last night, but it's not here this morning, so I'll leave it again.

    Charity, I saw your comment over on Kristin Nelson's blog last week, and I was shouting at the computer, "Yes, Charity! She reps fantasy and science fiction! And so does her newer (read: hungrier) colleague, Sara Megibow! You should query her!"

    Then I decided this note might be more effective than the shouting:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I actually saw this movie, but I couldn't remember what it was about until i read your post. I don't know why either. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw it a while back, when it first came out. I loved it, too.

    You're right about the details nagging you! I do the same thing, what-if the story/movie until it bleeds out the eyes.

    For a similar movie, watch GAMER.

    This one's a lot more graphic, but a similar escapist disembodiment concept. You can play other people's bodies via online links.

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...