Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bumper Sticker Writing Prompts

I spent my week off of blogging preparing for Nanowrimo. I'm the ML (Municipal Liaison aka head cheerleader) for my area. This means that November is extra busy. My purpose is to provide information about writing, encourage everyone to keep writing, plan the kick-off and TGIO parties and still reach 50K myself during the month. It may sound crazy, but I love being ML. I'm not good at several parts of it, but I love telling people "YOU CAN DO IT!"

October is really the beginning of Nano for me. I start emailing my region posts on plotting tips, character development, story structure and so forth. The idea being that we can have everything ready to go on November 1st freeing ourselves up for uninhibited writing. Since everything is going to be busy, I'm going to post my letters as my blog post starting next week. Hopefully, it will be helpful to some of you as well.

However, I did want to start bumper sticker prompts before Nano. One day a week (probably Monday or Wednesday) I'll post a few bumper stickers, pick one and then write a short (200-500) word story based off of it. You can also pick one and add your story to your regularly scheduled post, link back to my original post, then come and sign in to Mr. Linky with your post address (the post with the story, not to your whole blog). It will be an ongoing blogfest of sorts. Come back as often as you want.

Does that make sense? I reread it and think I confused myself. Sorry, I'm still sleep deprived. ;)


Here are today's bumper stickers:








Ok, write a short story based on one of those stickers. If you have suggestions for future stickers email me at charity.bradford@gmail.com. My only request is that we keep it clean. :) Thanks!

Here's my story, proof these don't have to be great. The idea is to sit down and just write something, better if it's out of your comfort zone. Don't over think, simply practice letting the words flow. You can always edit/revise later!

Gun Control
"Hey baby, no need to freak out." Dark eyes peered at her from under the baseball cap. He licked his lips and shifted his weight from one foot to the other, never looking away.

"Please leave me alone." Her voice sounded small in the dark alley.

Her hand shook as she pointed the gun at him. Her feet were set wide and her arm extended in front of her, just like she saw on T.V. The cold wall behind her felt solid, but far from comforting. She wanted him to turn and walk away. Was that too much to ask for? Her heart raced as he held his hands out and took a step forward.

"You're not going to shoot me. Not for wanting to have a little fun." He chuckled and took another step.

Her other hand came up to steady the gun as the distance between them shortened. Fingers tightened, clasping the gun in a death grip. A bead of sweat rolled down her back. She looked down the barrel of the pistol at his chest.

"I'll do it if you make me."

"I don't believe you." He lunged forward reaching for the gun.

She didn't think, just reacted. Her finger squeezed the trigger, her supporting hand maintained aim through the recoil. The man crumbled to the ground as the gunshot faded around her.

That's around 200 words, but I haven't written any story words in almost two weeks, so yay me! My muse is vacationing and I need to entice him back. (Yes, my muse is a guy, what of it?)

Sign up below! I can't wait to read your bumper sticker stories.

5 comments:

  1. When you said head cheerleader before, I never realised it meant you were also DOING Nano! Wow! That sounds like so much work but your region is lucky to have somebody like you.

    :D

    Wowsies. Ahem. I signed up recently for it but I'm very not ready. At all.

    *HUGS*

    You have no idea how helpful your posts will be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. I wish I had the time to do this but I'm deep in revisions for my WIP!! I'll be checking back though...Awesome idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first two. :D

    I'm not doing NaNo since I'm ready to start my first draft Friday. So technically I'm starting a month early. Same goals though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a great idea! Bumper stickers have just been taken to a whole other level of fun for me.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...