Friday, November 12, 2010

Pandora as a Writing Tool

Nano update: I stopped at 13, 979 last night. I've set a goal to pass 16K by tonight.

Do you know about Pandora Radio? I'm usually slow to pick up on things, so I only found it this year. It's wonderful. Type in a favorite song, singer or group and build an entire station of similar music.

This is great for writing. You can create "mood" stations. I currently only have two--a love song type station based on A Fine Frenzy, and a Shinedown station. It's great because I've found some new songs that I really like that never get played on the radio. Some of them have been the basis for scenes, others I just like.


For instance, I heard this song for the first time today. It fits in with the WIP I'm not currently working on.


I need to collect some more stations though. One for every kind of emotion or mood that I might one day like to convey in a story. So, here's my question for you...

What stations do you have on your Pandora account? Or, suggest a great song seed for a certain emotion.

I also want to work on a smells thesaurus on my Descriptive Faces blog. Head over and give me some ideas, or sign up to describe a smell already listed.

UPDATE: I just added the Film Scores station. Excellent for writing!

9 comments:

  1. OMG, I totally just discovered Pandora, too. I put in Florence + the Machine;) Discovered A Fine Frenzy through that one, too, and now Almost Lover is on my NaNo book "soundtrack". LOVE it. I blogged about the music soundtrack a couple days ago if you want to see my very small current list;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Pandora! Glad you have found its amazingness! It is such an amazing tool for writers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Pandora. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! I LOVE writing to music! I wouldn’t have nearly the amount of inspiration or creativity if I didn’t write to music. I don’t think I could write a whole book without there being some song or other behind it.

    What kind of story are you writing? I can give you loads of suggestions based on the “feel” of the story you’re going for. I have entire playlists for aquatic stories, and currently I am making use of my desert soundtrack. I also have really urban soundtracks.

    I love A Fine Frenzy. She does a great cover of “Fever”. I also like Almost Lover and Near to You. Florence and the Machine makes up a good part of my playlist right now. I have several scenes in mind for my current WiP to “Cosmic Love” “Blinding” and “The Drumming Song.” The really neat thing is she sings about “the dead” and I am writing about ghosts. Coldplay is also a big inspiration for this book, specifically “42”, “Death and All His Friends” and “Live in Technicolor Part II”. OneRepublic has also made their way into my WiP’s playlist, but the song is called “Stop and Stare”.

    Really Charity, I could give you soooooo many suggestions. Just let me know what sort of book you’re writing and I can help! :D I love helping!

    I actually wrote a blog post about how I like to write scenes to songs, and how I even use songs to get ideas:

    http://writerelizabethpoole.blogspot.com/2010/02/monday-monday.html
    I am actually in the process of cataloguing songs by emotion/theme, so I will email you the results when I am done. :D But in the meantime, let me know what you’re looking for and I can try to point you in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pandora is da bomb -- except for the occasional commercial; but I guess it's FREE, so I shouldn't complain.

    Explosions in the Sky is my station of choice. No lyrics to distract me while I'm writing, and oh so moody. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Pandora. It's great for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for letting me know about this. I hadn't heard of it. (Or I may have heard but forgotten.)

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used Pandora in the past, but forgot about it until I read this post. I might start using it again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys, help me convince Elizabeth to write a post about her music. She sent me a list of songs I've never heard of separated by emotion. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...