Wednesday, January 26, 2011

In Memory

1931--2011


Gotta love the early 90s hair.

Grandma with my girls around 2001
Grandma with my first son around 2003

Without her, my family would have had a few miserable years growing up. She taught us how to live without running water, grow a garden, work hard, and love every minute of it.

The little things I'll always remember and keep close to my heart:
pinto beans and fried cornbread
shelling green beans outside under the trees
camp fire talks
the smell of her cigarettes
"wash down as far as possible, wash up far as possible, then wash possible"
dollar pancakes, as many as you can eat
westerns
Tom Selleck and Magnum P.I.
the movie Hiroshima
painting thousands of wooden watermelons
soaking up the sun all summer long on Dolphin Island
her scriptures, worn with love on her table
her straight forward, no nonsense way of stating how it is
her laugh, more like a low chuckle
all the times she teased me about dancing at my wedding
the love she had for all of her children and grandchildren
she always wanted us to have more and do more than she could
pride every time she talked about any of her family

8 comments:

  1. She sounds like she was an amazing lady who left behind a legacy of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful and loving tribute. She does sound like an amazing woman.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  3. My condolences. You've painted a picture of a truly remarkable woman. Thank you for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a wonderful tribute. Sounds like she left a lot of fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How great that you had that link to the skills and work ethic of her generation. I wish I'd had more contact with my grandparents growing up. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone, I've been reliving memories all day and having a great time with them.

    Some of my favorite stories might not sound complimentary, but the funny thing is I remember them fondly. For instance, once she had been without cigarettes for about 3-4 days. She was cranky and fit to be tied. It was summer and I was hiding in the house reading. She told me to go outside, so I did, taking up residence under a tree to continue my book. Before long she was flying across the yard with a short length of water hose yelling that she told me to get outside and play! I took off into the woods as fast as I could...taking my book with me. Later that day my dad got paid and brought home a new carton of cigarettes for her. I know it shouldn't be funny, but it kind of was.

    Then there was the time we tried to make homemade pickles. They were so garlicky we couldn't eat any of them.

    and...My cousin Donnie did the eulogy and had us in stitches telling us the story that they complained about washing dishes. He said, "She whipped her head around and said, Son, you don't know what it's like to wash dishes. She then proceeded to tell us how when she washed dishes it started with gathering the firewood, bringing up a bucket of water to heat over the stove, washing the dishes and then throwing the water out. Three times a day." When he said whipped her head around, I could see it and hear her voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tribute. Thinking of you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...