Monday, February 7, 2011

And now, for a BIG Announcement!

 Or perhaps a short one?
After last week's post on short stories as writing tools, I received an email from Rosie over at East for Green Eyes. She had an amazing idea to host a blogfest to help us with that very thing! We've talked about it all week and we are really excited to bring you the...
Ooops, sorry couldn't figure out how to link. See Mr. Linky below.
This is an INTERACTIVE blogfest in which we share our skills to help each other write better short stories.


Here's the idea:
  1. On March 16, post a short story around 750 words, no more than 1000, in any genre you like.
  2. Read and give a critique for the person before and after you in the Linky List (and as many others as you can/want to). When you critique: a) find at least two things that really work, and b) at least two suggestions for how it can be tightened or improved.  
  3. (Optional) When you post on March 16, list one or two (online) journals where you plan to submit your piece after making revisions.
Rosie and I will come around to everyone's post and leave a comment/critique. She and I will also pick what we believe to be the TOP FIVE short stories. We will announce our top five the following Monday (March 21), and allow you to vote for your favorite. The winner will receive a $20 Amazon gift card.

Here are a few places to start looking for online journals.
  • Write 1 Sub 1's Short Fiction Markets/Contests page
  • See my right sidebar (down a bit) for SFWA (Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America) Qualifying markets
  • Estrella05azul has some online and print publications in her far right column
  • Duotrope's Digest allows you to search publications by genre and story length
Are you ready? Are you excited? Sign up below! We're looking forward to your latest short story :)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that's such a wonderful idea!
    I'll have to see what my schedule will be like around March 16th, but sounds great :)

    And that's so sweet of you to mention my published work, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I thought if people could read some of your stories and see where they were published it would help them get a feel for where their work might fit. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the middle of editing my full manuscript, but wish you ladies luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to bookmark this and come back later. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good. See you then.
    I'm a new follower ;)
    bethfred.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to this challenge. See you in March, or sooner.

    Welcome to the crusade. Go group 14! We shall be victorious. That is, if there's any opportunity for our group to compete against all the other crusader groups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea for a blogfest. I've added it to my blogfest page!

    Ellie Garratt

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like an awesome challenge. I'm swamped at the moment, though, with edits and school. Good luck to everyone! I'll have to stop by and take a look on the 16th!

    Cheers!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...