High School Short Story Contest (First Annual)
Contest Description: Short story, less than 1,500 words. Open to all high school students.
Prize: First Prize receives $50 and $50 to winner’s school library
Deadline: emailed or post marked by March 31, 2011
Submission: email to firstname.lastname@example.org (no attachments please, just include in the text of the email) or mail to Brian Claspell - 104 Ivy Hollow Ln - Mooresville, NC 28117.
Include: Name, address, email address, high school and year in school, word count, and title of story. The stories will be judged blindly, so do not include your name or any other identifier in the text of the story
Winners announced in May.
Criteria: Short stories will be judged on creativity and imagination. Any genre is acceptable.
2) Charity Bradford coordinates the yearly NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month – where you write a novel in a month) for the Charlotte, NC area. She is also in the process of seeking an agent for the publication of her latest work and is blogging on her progress. This is a great reference for anyone seeking publication of a novel or to learn about other writing techniques/tips. Her blog can be found at My Writing Journey. Here :)
3) Brian Claspell is the author of “Living by Grace” and winner of several local writing contests. You can learn more about Brian on his Facebook page Claspell - Author Fan Page
• One first prize will be awarded. Fifty US dollars ($50) will be given to the winning author and another $50 will be donated to the high school library of the winning author. The winning story and other finalist stories will be posted on the “Brian Claspell – Author” Facebook page.
• Winners will be announced in May 2011.
• Contest is open to all High School students in the United States who are currently attending a public, private, alternative or home school.
• There is no entry fee.
• Entries must be postmarked or emailed by March 31, 2011.
• All entries must be unpublished and 1,500 words or less. Works must be submitted in English. The work must be your original work and you must own the rights to the story (cannot have previously sold it or use copyrighted material without permission).
• The author (you) will retain all rights to the story, and will grant the contest sponsor the right to publish on Facebook.
• Only one entry per person is allowed. More than one entry will result in all entries being disqualified.
• All entries should be emailed or mailed or Brian Claspell at email@example.com (no attachments please, just include the story in the text of the email) or 104 Ivy Hollow Ln - Mooresville, NC 28117.
• Every entry should include: Name, address, email address, high school and year in school, word count, and title of story (NOTE: Your personal information will not be sold, distributed or otherwise used except for purposes of this contest). The stories will be judged blindly, so do not include your name or any other identifier in the text of the story.
• The winner will be announced in May 2011. The winner’s story will be posted on my facebook fan page “Brian Claspell - Author (Imagination continues here)”. I will post additional entries each month until the 2012 contest. All entrants will receive an email announcing the winner and a link to the winning story.
• Stories should not contain degrading material.
• The decisions of the judges are final.
• Note: Every effort will be made to make the contest fair and unbiased. Stories will be read by the judges without any identifier of the author’s name or location. Immediate family members (children and siblings) of the judges are not permitted to be winners.