Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Book Review: Possession by Elana Johnson

From Goodreads:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.


My take:
First, I feel very lucky to have read this before the release date. I highly recommend it to everyone!

I'm probably biased because I love Elana from her blog, but OMGosh! I'm still processing the end of this book. Right now I'm hoping she has a book two in the works to go along with this great ride through her imagination.

Now that I've read the book, the blurb up top really makes me laugh. Yeah, one kiss really can cause a lot, and I mean a lot of trouble. 


Elana builds a believable world that's easy to slip into and feel completely at home. The tech (technological gadget) is amazing and I never once thought "No way". The tech and the mind control give this sci fi novel a slight fantasy aftertaste--wonderful! The story flows like a conversation with your best friend. It's witty and heartbreaking in spots.

My favorite aspect of the book is that good and bad are all mixed up in this novel. Everything is really about your perspective and this is so true to real life. I also loved the idea of "chokers". Someone that fills up your emptiness until you feel like you're choking on love. Isn't that beautiful? I think we should make that term a part of our everyday vocabulary.

*sigh* Possession has a sad, confusing ending for me. Confusing simply because I can't decide what I think about it, and I've been thinking about it for over a week. I'm trying not to write any spoilers. Just know that the end makes sense, and it's what I would have done...eventually after fighting my natural tendencies for how things should end. Then again, considering what I'm going to do to Talia and Landry in book 3, Elana was very nice to her characters. Yeah, you know you like it when I'm vague and obtuse. 


Anyway, the end also left me with a hope. Unfortunately I can't share it without giving too much away. When it comes out, I suggest you go buy it so we can talk about it!

Possession is scheduled to be released June 7th, 2011, in hardcover by Simon Pulse, a part of Simon & Schuster.
ISBN: 978-1-4424-2125-7  
You can pre-order it from Amazon HERE.  

6 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to reading this! Thanks for the review - now if I can only hold out until June 7th =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sierra, If you go to the webpage for Possession, you can sign up and possibly get an ARC or e-galley to review. That's how I got my copy. Try this Link . It says for libraries or booksellers so it may not work. I filled out a form for book review bloggers, but I can't find that now.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, you've definitely piqued my interest, Charity! Adding it to my to-read list now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Possession is on my pre-order list.
    *must be patient, must be patient*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the ARC too, so I know what you mean about the end. E-mail me if you want to discuss so we won't give anything away here.

    tmilstein at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous! I can't wait to read this book! It has the absolute PRETTIEST cover I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...