Monday, June 6, 2011

It's All Fun and Games Blogfest

This week is my week over at Unicorn Bell. I'm talking about fear and critiques, so head over. 

Today is the It's all fun games blogfest hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh! Head to his page to find Mr. Linky.

This one is easy, and I like that!
--list your three most favorite games and why. Board games, card games, RPG, video games, physical games, drinking games - even mind games! If it’s a game you enjoy playing, it’s worth sharing.
So, here it goes...

1. Phase 10. This game can go anywhere and it never gets old. Hubby and I used to take this camping and here's the trick for playing with two people--you can do any phase you want, but you have to pass off all 10 first to win. This makes it so you don't know what the other player is working on. Now all the kids can play and its a lot more fun. Especially when they always skip Dad.

2. Dominion--what can I say about this game? It's made of awesome? Every game is different dependent on the combination of cards. You buy cards that let you perform actions, or money, the end goal being to have the most Victory Points at the end of the game. I love that my fate is in my hands. I build my own deck and thus work my way to the win. There is strategy involved, but you can just have fun and still do well. This is another one that my whole family enjoys. (Made for 4 players, but there is an expansion called Intrigue that lets you play up to 6 people.)

3. Settlers of Catan (up to 4 players) with the Seafarers (adds 2 more players for up to 6) and the Knights and Cities (still only up to 6) expansions. The three combined make for one kickin' game! First, it takes us half an hour just to set it up and remember all the rules. Then play can last for another hour or more. This game is special because we play it with our best friends during Thanksgiving and Christmas Break. It's become a family tradition to sit all day playing games and grazing on yummy left over holiday foods.

All my kids can play the base game of Settlers, but we haven't branched out with them into the others yet. It gets complicated--but not really. :D

I'm awful at explaining games, but that's why I provided Wiki links for you. I highly recommend all these games for a great family night.

20 comments:

  1. All new to me! And you're the second person to mention Settlers of Catan. I need to look that one up.
    Thanks for participating in the blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of any of them. I'll need to check out #2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Phase 10!!! Never heard of the other two but they look good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choices! Yours is the second blog where I've read about Catan. I have to check that game out!

    Fun & Games Blogfest

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many people are recommending Settlers of Catan! I seriously need to try that game.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My niece got Phase 10 for Easter, but neither of us could figure out the rules. I guess we'd better get it out again. I wish we could find someone who's played it so they can explain it to us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phase 10 looks familiar but I may be thinking of Uno because the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a big Settlers of Catan fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Settlers of Catan is rather a popular choice on the Fest today! I try to play it at Gen Con every year, but maybe it is time to buy a copy.

    Thanks for your list! My list is here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dominion's on my list too. I like Settlers, but it doesn't make my top three.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is Phase ten something like Uno? Just curious. All the rest are new to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard of two of these games. I'll have to check them out. I'm not part of the blog hop but I've been running into some of the entries while catching up on my blog reading, and loving the game picks. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't heard of Dominion! It sounds fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't played any of those, but they all look like terrific fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Phase 10 is like Uno, right? LOVE Uno, but never played this one. Might have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm going to have to check out the Settlers game, others have mentioned it too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have Phase 10 sitting in my closet - may have to break that one out now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not familiar with any of them. But then again, I'm not a huge gamer so I'm pretty ignorant to what's out there. My list of games to check out keeps expanding. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew if I hung in there long enough I'd finally find people who were into Settlers, or variations thereof. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't played any of those games, but they sound interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...