Friday, July 29, 2011

Book Review--The Shifter by Janice Hardy

Ok, confession time. I have a blogger crush on Janice Hardy. Every post she does is packed with excellent writing advice. Every. Single. One. If you don't already follow her you should. As a matter of fact CLICK HERE and go follow her. You may want to spend the next month sifting through her archives because you won't want to miss anything.

Now having said that you are going to have a hard time believing I can distance myself from the crush to talk about her book. You might be right *shrugs*. I actually put off reading The Shifter for a long time. Don't know why really, but it was stupid to wait so long.

I actually picked it up after I won a first chapter critique from Janice. Her comments and advice were wonderful and since I couldn't really do much to say thanks, I wanted to read her books. The Shifter is book one in the Healing Wars Trilogy, and I can't wait to read the other two.

From The Healing Wars Homepage:

Nya is a Taker: with her touch she can heal injuries, drawing the pain into
her own body. Unlike other Takers, she can’t push the pain into the
enchanted metal used to store it. All she can do is shift it from person to
person, a skill she must conceal or risk being used as a human weapon.
But when her sister mysteriously disappears, Nya must decide—how far will
she go to save her?


My Take:

This was thoroughly enjoyable from the first page. The characters were endearing, believable and real. Nya rushes headlong into her decisions like most teens and has to deal with the consequences. I love the idea of the Healers/Takers and Shifting in general. How imaginative! I also love that Janice was realistic about how valuable this gift is and that people would fight over the use of the commodity.

I read this in less than 24 hours. Yep, my reading self is working again! I'm not going to say much more...because of the crush thing...but you should definitely check this one out.

I give The Shifter 4.5 on the scale. It is a must read, I have nothing bad to say about it and have Blue Fire reserved at the library. Hmm, maybe that qualifies as a 5? The last book Darkfall comes out some time this year.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the review! It's much appreciated :) If you happen to be in the Woodstock, GA area on September 24, I'm having an "early release" launch party for Darkfall. We'll have copies before they officially go on sale on October 4th. Not sure where in NC you are, but our borders are close in some spots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Fire is wonderful! There's some very, very cool worldbuilding (not to mention plot and more horrible situations for poor Nya). It's one of the reason I love these books -- they pack a big fantasy punch inside the tight pacing of an MG novel.

    And now I'm going to be sad I'm nowhere near GA. Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've piqued my interest with this review. Off to add The Shifter to my list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...