Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Review: Leviathan, Behemoth by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Westerfeld is another of my author crushes. Every one of his books has sucked me in and kept me captivated. This particular series might be borderline between MG and YA, but I love the world he's created. The reviews will be short (as possible) since its a two-fer day.

From Goodreads:
Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She's a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn's paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.


My Take (written on Goodreads Feb 2010):
My first steampunk book. I did like it, but found it hard to concentrate on the story in the beginning. Once again, probably me and the craziness of my current life and not a reflection on the book. By the end it engaged my attention, and I look forward to the next book in the series.

I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads at the time. I think that would equate a 4 on my scale at the bottom.

From Goodreads:
The behemoth is the fiercest creature in the British navy. It can swallow enemy battleships with one bite. The Darwinists will need it, now that they are at war with the Clanker powers.

Deryn is a girl posing as a boy in the British Air Service, and Alek is the heir to an empire posing as a commoner. Finally together aboard the airship Leviathan, they hope to bring the war to a halt. But when disaster strikes the Leviathan's peacekeeping mission, they find themselves alone and hunted in enemy territory.

Alek and Deryn will need great skill, new allies, and brave hearts to face what's ahead.


My Take (Finished August 2011):
Scott Westerfeld really knows how to build a world. It's been a year and a half since I read Leviathan, but I didn't have any trouble slipping into his world once more. The characters were just as believable and likable as before.

This book did exactly what a second book in a series should do. It carried on the story seamlessly, gave me plenty of action and questions to solidify my interest, continued to build tension and set me up for the next book. It also had a twist or two that I really enjoyed. How can you not like a strong willed, brilliant girl protag whose always saving the guy?

Now I can't wait for the last book to come out. How will Alek learn that Deryn is a girl? And will he really run a mile? That's my burning question!

I give this book a 4.5 although in all honesty I read it in a day so that might qualify as a 5? I love that I can completely get lost in Westerfeld's world and forget that I'm reading a book.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

2 comments:

  1. I liked his book Uglies. Trying to get the next two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Steampunk. Maybe these books would be a good intro to the genre for me. They sound very interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...