Friday, August 19, 2011

A Chance to be Critiqued by Random House or Orion

Today was supposed to be a book review, so I hope you will forgive me for indulging in a personal writing request instead. 

I don't know how many of you noticed the "Things I need to remember" section in the right sidebar, but the last bit of July was my chance to enter the Further Writing Contest. The good news is I had already signed up with YouWriteOn and figured out (sort of) how the system works.

It's actually pretty neat. You can upload parts of your novel and other people will read, rate and comment on it. Once you receive 8 ratings you are eligible for the Top 10 and publishers from Random House and Orion Books look at those top 10 at the end of every month.

Here's what makes it hard. In order to get rated, you have to read and rate other stories to earn credits. You then assign those credits to the story you want rated and wait. I currently have 7 ratings with 2 credits waiting to be "used". Meaning someone has to click "get assignment" and then actually have my story come up.

Can I ask my writer friends a huge favor? I don't know that you can just read and rate my story as a guest, but signing up is free in any case. And here's your chance to read the most recent revision of the first 4 chapters of Sendek. Right now I have 4/5 stars, which makes me giddy because that's the average from genre readers and non genre readers. Not bad for a Sci fi/fantasy chick don't you think?

Click here to read and leave your honest thoughts (and honest ratings). If you want to read and then you can leave your comments here, or email them to me at charity.bradford@gmail.com

I'm starting to feel like I'm getting close to the end with Sendek. Something's gonna happen one way or the other by the end of the year I think. Gosh, that's scary to type, but I've been feeling the need to move on for a while but still not ready to give up on this story. Sorry, starting to mumble as I type.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments related to my exerpt!

4 comments:

  1. I shall read those tonight Charity as I'm at work today and I love to do my reading from my iPad. But expect my comments this weekend. I'm so excited to see what you've done. Your writing is so powerful, the little that I've read just sweeps me away. I remember getting to the end of those first four chapters the other day and was like...damn, I thought I just started this. Like I had no concept of time...suddenly I was forty pages in and that was all there was lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. I'll try to get to it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I signed up on that site a while back - ages ago - and I actually read some pretty great stuff. I will put it on my to do list for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you guys so much!
    Michael, it won't look much different from the last one you read--just the switch from 1st to 3rd person.

    Liz, It might be different from the version you read for me. I get mixed up with what revisions you've seen. :)

    Marcy, you are a dream! Oh, and I'll try and get a 2nd chapter submission to you for Unicorn Bell...tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...