Friday, September 16, 2011

Book Review Blue Fire by Janice Hardy

Click HERE for my review of Book 1: The Shifter

 From Goodreads:

Part fugitive, part hero, fifteen-year-old Nya is barely staying ahead of the Duke of Baseer’s trackers. Wanted for a crime she didn’t mean to commit, she risks capture to protect every Taker she can find, determined to prevent the Duke from using them in his fiendish experiments. But resolve isn’t enough to protect any of them, and Nya soon realizes that the only way to keep them all out of the Duke’s clutches is to flee Geveg. Unfortunately, the Duke’s best tracker has other ideas.

Nya finds herself trapped in the last place she ever wanted to be, forced to trust the last people she ever thought she could. More is at stake than just the people of Geveg, and the closer she gets to uncovering the Duke’s plan, the more she discovers how critical she is to his victory. To save Geveg, she just might have to save Baseer—if she doesn’t destroy it first.

My Take:
*Deep Sigh* Janice said this book was hard for her to get right. Well, she must have worked her butt off, because she nailed it.

Six months have passed since the events at the end of The Shifter and we are thrown right into the action from the beginning. And it doesn't let up. The best thing is that Janice flows from one event to the next seamlessly. Her characters stay true to who they are, but they've also grown stronger from their experiences.

It's hard to say much without giving too much away. Let's just say I really loved the exchanges between Nya and Vyand. I also loved the revelation Nya stumbles on at the end. Its great because Janice didn't hint at this anywhere else so it was a surprise to me. Looking back she might have hinted once, but I missed it because Nya missed it. That's great writing in my opinion. I'd have been tempted to drop hints all over the place and ruined the effect.

Now I'm anxiously awaiting the last book in the series. *rubs hands together* September 24th will be here soon! Check out Janice's website for information on the launch party and other signings.

I gave this a 5. I read it in a day, and as mentioned above, I can't wait to read the final installment in this story. This is great story telling!

Rating scale for book reviews.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

5 comments:

  1. Great review! Great cover, too. Love her last name!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for a great review Charity! Vyand is one of my favorite characters, actually. (I do love the bad guys) I'm glad you liked her as well. YOu'll be seeing her again :)

    Miranda, great last name you got there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review makes me want to own this now. I shall be downloading the first book along with some R.A. Salvatore that a friend wants me to read probably tonight for a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the great review! I really GOTTA read Janice's books/series. (My TBR list is atrocious--so many books, so little time...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the same boat as Carol. If only there were more (non-working) hours in a day! This book/series sounds awesome. Thanks for the review. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...