Friday, April 27, 2012

Book Review--Dead Running

From authors website:
Cassidy Christensen is running.
Running from the mercenaries who killed her parents.
Running from a scheming redhead intent on making her life miserable.
Running from painful memories that sabotage her dreams of happiness.
With two very tempting men competing for her attention, she hopes she’ll finally have someone to run to, but can she trust
either of them? When secrets from her past threaten her family, Cassidy decides to stop running and fight for her future.


Buy Now only $3.99 Kindle
Cami's Website

My thoughts:
First of all, I read this in a day. I love a book that pulls me in and keeps me to the end. There came a point when I had to put the book down and take my daughter to the dentist. No worries, right? All I had to do was drive and then I could read again in the waiting room. Her appointment took seven minutes. Seven stinking minutes!

The worst part was I had reached the point where all the players were in motion and I was just waiting to see how it fell into place. That was the LONGEST drive home ever.

This book had a nice mystery, loveable and believable characters with great voice. I loved how real Cassidy was. Her sense of humor and off the wall bluntness had me smiling the whole time. And the end of the 10K race? OMGosh I couldn't stop laughing. It was just a great story that let me slip out of my life and into someone elses. That's why I read. 

Bonus points for the following:
  • Making me WANT to start running again. I loved how Checketts used Cassidy's training for the marathon to show us how strong and determined (stubborn) she could be. Cassidy grows stronger in more ways than one as she pushes herself harder than ever before.
  • Brilliant plot twist with Dr. Tattoo (totally dreamy dude). I don't want to spoil anything, but LOVED it. Early on I had a very definite idea of which side he would be on, but wow there was still a great surprise in store for me and Cassidy. Can you say CONFLICT baby?
  • All the great nicknames Cassidy had for the other characters. I'm so bad with names that I do this same thing! I only wish she had told Detective Shine what his name meant.
I give Dead Running by Cami Checketts a 4. Great read and I recommend it when you need a good escape.

Rating scale for book reviews.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

To celebrate the release of Dead Running Cami has coordinated a huge fitness giveaway. Prizes include fitness watches from MIO Global, three months online personal training from Fitcore Fitness, Beginner and Advanced yoga packages from Hugger Mugger, earbuds and armbands from iFrogz, running shoes from Altra Zero Drop, six months membership to Smithfield Recreation, one month membership to Crossfit UAC, Three Lebert Stretch Straps, and an autographed copy of Dead Running. Enter on Fitness for Mom or on my post from Wednesday.

5 comments:

  1. Don't drive and read at the same time. It's rare but I do see people when I'm commuting who have a book open on the steering wheel and trying to drive through traffic. It terrifies me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, so tempting, but I'm with you--that's terrifying!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the great review Charity.
    Warmest,
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from W1S1 to say congrats on meeting your goals for the month and on your Apollo's Lyre publication!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another month's goals met. Congratulations for that and for your published work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...