Friday, July 6, 2012

Book Review--Particle Horizon by Selso Xisto

I just learned that Particle Horizon is free TODAY ONLY at Amazon.com.

From Goodreads:
From the blood and dust of New Jerusalem, the Legion of the LightBringer wages a galactic war against those who would replace their god. Now, the time has come for the Union of Free Worlds to make a stand. The front line is the idyllic asteroid world of Angelhaven, where the greatest mind in human history has discovered an elemental power with far-reaching implications. A power that both sides will do anything to harness.

Marine commander Gomes leads the crack Union task force. An unrelenting warrior driven by revenge and a need for answers, he hides a strange ability neither science nor religion can explain.

On the other side of the war, Aja is forced to fight for a cause she doesn't believe in to protect her own secret.

Caught between them is Una, a living machine who battles for her humanity as her world falls apart.

Outnumbered ten to one and stalked by a mysterious nemesis, all three will play a role in unraveling Angelhaven's enigma.

As the Legion invasion begins, unknown eyes watch with interest.


My take:
This is one of those books that took a while for me to get into, but by the end I was sneaking peaks during church to finish. That's really funny considering the part faith and religion play in the story line.

What worked for me:
  • The grand scale of the idea contained in one place--Angelhaven. 
  • The idea of humans reaching their "Resolution Juncture" and what that could mean to other intelligent species was brilliant. Especially when contrasted with the brutal warring forces on Angelhaven. 
  • Light hidden within the darkest most determined soldier.
  • The fact that the most powerful and advanced "light" lacked and desired what we have as humans--imagination, drive, curiosity, nobility. etc.
  • The science was great and not too difficult to follow. Great tech gadgets and weapons without the burden of explaining how they all worked.
  • I loved the whole discussion on faith and where it should be placed. God or no god? What happens when there's no middle ground? No choice to believe in the version of god that feels right to you? Very well done.

What I struggled with:
  • Multiple POV changes from the beginning made it hard for me to keep up with the players and which side they were on. In the end I got it and it seems like there wasn't really a right or wrong side. Just two extremes duking it out.
  • There was some repetition in spots with background info and I found myself skimming through them.
  • It was also quite gruesome at times with the level and method of death, but the plot was epic. 

I give Particle Horizon a 3.5 for a great idea and characters that I got behind by the end. Just wished more of them had survived. 

My 1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  On the line between okay and good / found myself skimming at times
3.5: I liked it and would recommend it
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

5 comments:

  1. A lot of characters bit the dust, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this author may subscribe to the GRR Martin "kill away" ideal. I suppose I hope that, like the Song of Ice and Fire books, the deaths played a part or were sufficient in bringing some particular arc to closure.

    Otherwise, just the description had my head spinning with curiosity. So much going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps. Several times my head was spinning during the read. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

      Delete
  3. I will be checking it out! I like these kinds of books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...