Friday, September 7, 2012

2 for the Price of One Book Review-- Predator Girl and Blood Skies

From Goodreads:  
Strange and unusual beasts that few people are aware of roam our world. Jared Ferlyn is one of these few—a Finder, born with the gift for detecting and tracking paranormal beings. Tagging these Otherworlders for the government, he’s had his share of keeping fey, nightlings and other creatures from human sight. But when a strange new girl comes to town, Jared is unable to classify her despite his training and experience.

Tracking her, he is pulled into a dangerous environment that not even a Finder is prepared for.


My take:
I wish I had written this review closer to when I read it, but summer was crazy. So, here is a quick thought from memory.

The story bounces between the two main characters Jared and Ilume. Both are likable and believable. there are lots of unexpected twists to keep the reader happy, and yet the style is somewhere between Twilight and Shiver which lends a comfortable feel.  


I give Predator Girl by S. B. Roozenboom a solid 4.


From Goodreads:
In the time after The Black, human survivors of the Southern Claw Alliance clash with vampire legions of the Ebon Cities in a constant war for survival. Earth as we know it has been forever damaged by an arcane storm that fused our world with distant realms of madness and terror. Things that once existed only in our nightmares stalk the earth.

Now, humanity is threatened by one of its own.

Eric Cross, an enlisted warlock in the Southern Claw military, is part of an elite team of soldiers and mages in pursuit of a woman known as Red -- a witch whose stolen knowledge threatens the future of the human race. The members of Viper Squad will traverse haunted forests and blighted tundra in their search for the traitor, a journey that ultimately leads them to the necropolis of Koth.

There, in that haven of renegade undead, Cross will discover the dark origins of magic, and the true meaning of sacrifice...

Experience a dark and deadly new world in the debut novel of the "Blood Skies" series from author Steven Montano.

 
My take:
This is a book where you really have to let go and immerse yourself in the world. It was hard for me to get into, but the last few chapters pulled me in enough that I'll probably read the next book in the series.

I believe my problem in the beginning was two fold:
The genre--it was listed as military scifi (which I like), but this was nothing like the stuff I've read before. I went in expecting one thing and found something else. It was hard to shift gears. There are witches, warlocks, vampires, and other monsters on a planet. Magic, carnage, oh and some heavy weaponry. I don't know what you would call this, which is probably the same problem the author had. Maybe alternate earth military paranormal? (Okay, searching the web I saw it called a dystopian military dark fantasy epic. Yeah, that fits.)

The style--it's hard to get to know Cross or any of the other characters, and in the end I figured out why. The world/setting is really the main character. You have to understand the world before any of the characters can grab your attention.
 


I give Blood Skies by Steven Montano a 3.5.

Rating scale for book reviews.
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure 

2 comments:

  1. The last one barely sounds science fiction at all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this rate, my TBR pile is going to be longer than I have any possibility of ever finishing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...