Friday, September 21, 2012

Announcements and Book Review--No Good Deed

Announcements:

  • I'll continue the story problem series next week with "physical description that gets in the way".
  • Go sign up for the MuseItUp Online Writer's Conference NOW. It runs October 8th-14th and is FREE.
  • We've started talking book covers now that The Magic Wakes is with the copy editor. :)
This book review is going to be short and to the point because it's been almost two months since I read the book.

From Goodreads:
Mark Taylor discovers first hand that no good deed goes unpunished when the old camera bought in an Afghanistan bazaar gives him more than great photos. It triggers dreams of disasters. Then the unthinkable happened and everyone ignored his frantic warnings. Thousands die. Suddenly, the Feds are pounding on his door and the name they have for Taylor isn't urban hero. It's enemy combatant.

My take:
This is one of those books that was so intense I was physically ill while reading. I couldn't put it down because I had to know what happened next--how was Mark going to prove his innocence, etc. It was a great read and I'm looking forward to reading more books in the series.

Things that held me captive--the physical and psychological torture. Mark was a good guy trying to do the right thing and yet the government thinks he's the worst of the worst terrorists known to the country. How does that happen?

It's truly frightening to think something like this could happen when all you have to defend yourself is your word.

I give No Good Deed by M.P. McDonald a solid 4.5.

Rating scale for book reviews.
1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

11 comments:

  1. I remember Mary. Her new cover is cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get the next two books! I can't believe how far behind I am. ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, great review. Thanks, Charity!

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a thrilling book. That looks like a silhouette of Chicago on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds awesome! love an intense thriller and a prarnormal one at that!
    and cant wait to see your cover!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed this one. And I can't wait to see my cover either! I hope they get it finished sooner than later because I want to start planning a cover reveal, a release blog tour, blah, blah, blah. :) I'm ready to get this party started.

      Delete
  5. Stories like that drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. Maybe this is why I don't read a lot of crime/mystery novels. I like them, but it's often like watching an intense movie--they can give me a headache. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it, I just react physically to the stress of the characters. Is this why they drive you crazy?

      Delete
  6. Hi Charity. I just found your review and really appreciate it. :-)

    I didn't know you reviewed books on your blog. Is it a regular thing or are you like me, and only do it a few times a year?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...