Monday, September 10, 2012

Author Interview--Jeremy Bates

Wow, we haven't had one of these in a while!

Jeremy Bates is the author of The Taste of Fear, a suspense novel which will be released on October 23rd, 2012. His previous novel, White Lies, has been nominated for several awards and reviewed favorably by Booklist and Publisher's Weekly. He was an International Thriller Writers (ITW) debut author for the year of 2011-2012 and a guest speaker at Thrillfest in New York this past July.

Welcome Jeremy! Glad to have you with us.



What’s your favorite genre to read/write?
My favorite genre to write would be suspense/thriller. My favorite to read would also be suspense/thriller, but I’m also a big fan of a good horror story. I do enjoy a good suspense myself, but really have to be in the right mood. I've added your book to my list for when it hits me. ;)

How do you “get in the zone” when writing? Do you listen to music? Look through art? Something else?
I usually need a coffee if it’s in the morning and some loud music (usually in headphones), which drones out everything else. Amen to that! Music can really put us in the right place.

What’s your favorite part of being a writer?
Writing!

What’s your least favorite part?
Writing! Seriously. Sometimes when you get stuck or the story stalls, it can be a pain in the butt.
Ditto on those last two questions!

Are you a pantser or plotter, or a mix?
What’s a pantser? Lol

Best thinking activity? (e.g. washing dishes, folding clothes, driving)
Going for a walk.

Worst/most interesting writing related injury? (e.g. falling off chair or tripping over whilst trying to do something you're sure your MC could manage)
Honestly can’t think of one! Me either, but one of these days I'm going to try something just so I have an answer for this question.

How do you go about choosing names, locations etc?
I usually glance around at books nearby. If I don’t see anything, I’ll do a Google search.

Best part of the writing process?

Finishing the novel. Oh, yeah!

--Non Writing Questions--

Most of us write part time. How do you spend your time when you aren’t writing?
Going to the pub. Exercising. Watching movies.

What’s your favorite color?
Purple.

Current favorite song?
Take It on the Chin by Mick Flannery

If money were not an option, where would you love to spend your next vacation?
Africa.

The blurb:

American movie star Scarlett Cox and her husband, hotel tycoon Salvador Brazza, head to Africa to get away and resuscitate their ailing marriage. When robbed of their money and passports, they seek help from the U.S. Embassy in Dar es Salaam—on the very day Al Qaeda chooses to bomb it. In an eyeblink they're taken hostage and whisked across the border deep into the Congo, one of the last truly wild places left on earth.

Battling terrorists, deadly wildlife and cannibalistic rebels, Scarlett and Sal must find a way to survive in a violent, primeval world. And the only person who may be able to save them is the assassin sent to kill them.

4 comments:

  1. Absolutely intriguing. Writing is my favorite/worst writing activity too.

    Thanks Charity for hosting Jeremy; and Jeremy, I liked getting to know you better as an author.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another man of few words - awesome!
    I need the loud music as well.
    Hope this one is just as successful, Jeremy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is stunning. The letters in the title make me feel the anxiety. Thanks, Charity, for reminding me I need to check out all of Jeremy's books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds awesome. Off to add it to my To-Read list now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...