Tuesday, October 16, 2012

DINYB--Cloak by James Gough

You get two posts from me today! One about me (Tagged) and one about someone else. Seems like a good plan, right?

Today, Ciara Knight and Alex Cavanaugh are hosting a Did I Notice Your Book? blogfest. And I thought, what a great opportunity to share another book review since I got miserably behind over the summer.

From Goodreads:
Thirteen-year-old bubble boy Will Tuttle lives a boring, friendless life trapped in a sterile Brooklyn apartment, suffering from mysterious allergies no doctor can explain. Fed up with his pointless existence he breaks free of the sterile bubble to explore New York City, not expecting to return alive. Along the way, Will discovers that his countless allergies have a single, bizarre source.

Suddenly Will is a target. When he's chased through Central Park by a cloaked assailant, a misfit team of bodyguards shows up to keep Will Tuttle alive. . . . And teach him how to blend into a society that isn’t supposed to exist.


My Take:
This was another pleasant surprise. I picked it up not knowing what it would be about, but Gough does a great job building his world and meshing it in with the world we already know. He mixes Grimm's faerie tales with a twist of science fiction for a delightful ride. I believed every word of the story!

There were so many little details that I enjoyed. I actually found myself looking at those blobs of chewing gum on the side of buildings differently and wondering "what if?" This book was full of surprises.

I give Cloak by James Gough a solid 4.5.

Rating scale for book reviews

1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

22 comments:

  1. Interesting premise.
    Thanks for participating in our blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go for a bubble boy character breaking free. The premise only goes up in the enjoyment factor from there. Great choice :-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charity .. seems like you picked a good book with an interesting storyline - how often do we need to escape our own bonds ... great choice ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was exactly what I needed when I found it. I love how that happens.

      Delete
  4. I like the font used on the cover. I wonder what the name of it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's with my publisher so I can try and find out for you.

      Delete
  5. I love your rating scale. I also like finding some good YA for boys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be a great read for boys!

      Delete
  6. I love MG and YA fiction, so I've been please with the amount of books with young characters. Great pick. Thanks for participating in the DINYB Blog Fest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grimm's fairy tales and science fiction - that sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your rating scale. Any book about a bubble boy tickles my interest. Loved the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use it. I think I borrowed it from someone else and then tweaked it just a little.

      Delete
  9. The bubble boy idea sounds original. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the cover, but I think I expected the subject to be way, way dark. Does that bit of white hint of insect origin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call! There is a bit of insect origin in here. The subject could have become very dark, but Gough did a good job of being serious without going too far for YA.

      Delete
  11. This sounds fascinating. After reading your synopsis I wanted to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love taking a gamble and just grabbing a book...it's like treasure hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a wonderful book. Another one for the to-read list! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...