Monday, November 12, 2012

Book Review--Disciple Part 1 by L. Blankenship

From Goodreads:
The saints favor her, else-wise a peasant girl like Kate Carpenter would never be apprenticed to the kingdom’s master healer. But her patron saint also marks her ready for the duty of tending to a mission that must cross the ice-bound mountains. Their little kingdom faces invasion by a vast empire and desperately needs allies; across the snow-filled pass, through the deathly thin air, is a country that’s held off the empire and may be willing to lend an army.

Kate knows about frostbite and the everyday injuries of wilderness travel. She can heal those.

She’s not ready for the attentions of a ne’er-do-well knight and the kingdom’s only prince, though.

And she isn’t ready for the monsters that harry them night and day, picking off their archers first, wearing the party to exhaustion, pushing Kate beyond the limits her healing abilities.

She must keep them alive, or her blood will be on the snow too.


My take:
I've confessed before that I often drag my feet when it comes to reading my friends novels. Yes, I'm a horrible person, but there's always that fear of "what if I don't like it?" You'd think by now I would understand that I'm attracted to friends who like the same kind of stuff I do so I should stop worrying already.

This fantasy is solid and complex with it's world building, but not too hard to follow or "fall into". I liked that L. didn't try and feed me all the historical context or rules to her world, but immersed me in her world and slowly built me up to understanding it. 

The setting plays such a great role in the story, and yet you aren't pounded over the head with it. L. found the balance between setting and using the surroundings to enhance the action and mood without going into huge descriptive passages. Truly an art!

I liked Kate from the very beginning. She's thrown into a situation without knowing why other than the Elect told her she must go. Obedient, and yet strong willed, she makes a great character, as do the others. 

The hardest part about reading this book is knowing it's a four part series. I sat and read the whole book in about four hours and wanted to immediately email L and say, "send me the other three drafts!" She's done an excellent job with the edits as well. There was nothing to trip me up or remind me that I was reading at all.

I give Disciple Part 1 by L. Blankenship a 4.5, and I promise that isn't biased by our UB partnership. 

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

10 comments:

  1. She'd probably laugh at that email! But it would make her feel good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'd hope so! She did a great job making me a true fan.

      Delete
  2. #1 I am totally in sync with you about reviewing a friend's book. Hard (impossible?) to do if I don't like it.

    #2 I absolutely agree with your review of this book. My post is set for next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know,right?! Can't wait to read your review too.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the review! I think I'm going to head to Amazon now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you read this faster than me. I'm only 60% through. But I've beaten you on other books so I don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My excuse is I REALLY needed to escape my reality. Since I couldn't pack my own stuff there was nothing to do (I'm learning now what I should have been doing) but read. ;)

      Delete
  5. I like your rating method - it gives a true idea of what you liked or disliked about a book. Disciple is on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! I saw one similar somewhere and then tweaked it just a little bit to fit my thinking. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...