Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Book Review--The Burning of Isobel Key by Jen McConnel

From Goodreads:
Lou is in the middle of a quarter-life crisis. Ever since college, she’s lacked direction, working as a clerk in a local bookstore. But when she quits her job just before the winter holidays, Lou must do some serious soul searching to overcome her fears of straying from the mainstream. On a whim, she accompanies her best friend, Tammy, to Scotland for the winter holidays, but the vacation soon turns into an emotional roller coaster.

When she becomes embroiled in a hunt for information about Isobel Key, a woman falsely accused of witchcraft in the seventeenth century, Lou opens up to her intuition and makes a startling discovery about her own heritage.


My Take:
This was a fun little read. McConnel did a nice job comparing the fear of witchcraft with modern day Wiccan beliefs. Lou's soul searching came across as real and believable. Ultimately, her search for herself leads her to find more than she ever hoped for.

I really enjoyed the back and forth between the present and the past. In fact, I believe I enjoyed Isobel's story more than Lou's. I wanted more of that story, the details, the every day. Kudos to McConnel for her twist ending. You expect one thing to happen, because that's what always happens, but then something else happens instead. *sigh* It was great in my opinion.

The story made me wish I was in Scotland, but then again I always wish I was in Scotland. This book took a bit for me to get into, but once I did I enjoyed it. However it's been a week since I read it and I don't remember a lot of details.

I give The Burning of Isobel Key by Jen McConnel at 3.5

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read Isobel! I'm glad you enjoyed the tale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that time I set aside for reading got sucked up by my obsession to draw. LOL. I'm so involved with my current art project. It's what I do every night when I get home from work. This time I bought a huge canvas so I can get as much detail as possible. Anyway, this sounds like a good book. I'll have to put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...