Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Book Review--The Mist on Bronte Moor by Aviva Orr

From Goodreads:
When fifteen-year-old Heather Jane Bell is diagnosed with alopecia and her hair starts falling out in clumps, she wants nothing more than to escape her home in London and disappear off the face of the earth.

Heather gets her wish when her concerned parents send her to stay with a great-aunt in West Yorkshire. But shortly after she arrives, Heather becomes lost on the moors and is swept through the mist back to the year 1833. There she encounters fifteen-year-old Emily Brontë and is given refuge in the Brontë Parsonage.

Unaware of her host family’s genius and future fame, Heather struggles to cope with alopecia amongst strangers in a world foreign to her. While Heather finds comfort and strength in her growing friendship with Emily and in the embrace of the close-knit Brontë family, her emotions are stretched to the limit when she falls for Emily’s brilliant but troubled brother, Branwell.

Will Heather return to the comforts and conveniences of the twenty-first century? Or will she choose love and remain in the harsh world of nineteenth-century Haworth?

My Take:
This was a refreshing read, and one that was easy to lose myself in the story. I've always been a huge Jane Austen fan. She has a lot of books written about her or her work. It was really nice to see the Bronte sisters get a moment in the spotlight.

I didn't know as much about them, but I have read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne, Jane Eyre by Charlotte, and Wuthering Heights by Emily. I can't say that I enjoyed the Bronte sisters as much as Jane Austen, but I really enjoyed The Mist on Bronte Moor.

Aviva did a great job immersing me into nineteenth century England. I liked Heather and cared about her journey. I also enjoyed getting to know the Bronte family a little bit better even if it was fiction. This was a fast read.

My only complaint was it felt like it just ended. I wanted just a bit more even though everything had resolved nicely.

I give The Mist on Bronte Moor by Aviva Orr a solid 4.


1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...