Friday, February 15, 2013

TMW Blog Tour and a Book Review--Theocracide by James Wymore

Today there is a Mini Blog Hop on the "Top 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Writing" for my blog tour. It starts over at Alex Cavanaugh's blog. Please check it out and visit those wonderful folks who were so gracious to host me today. I expanded a bit on what I posted here last summer.

And now for the book review.

From Goodreads:
Aliens bent on conquering the world are closing in on a weakened America. Epidemic alien-flu leaves people afraid to go outside their homes. The Undying Emperor is drafting Americans of all ages despite the plummeting population.

Nobody really cares.

Jason, like everyone else, lives in a fantasy facilitated by computer glasses that project images right over the parts of the world he doesn’t like. With a sports scholarship and an amazing new girlfriend, he leads his college team from one victory to another. As long as they ignore the constant barrage of terrible news, their lives would turn out to be perfect.

Until the government discovers his father’s secret. Until his artificially perfect world comes crashing down.

Will Jason and his allies survive the manhunt long enough to finish his father’s work – to commit theocracide and set the world right?

My Take:
First, do you remember my movie review of Surrogates? This book grabbed me for the same reason. I'll even quote a bit of that earlier review.
"The idea behind this whole thing is mind boggling. The scariest thing is I can see this happening. We are already addicted/attached--whatever you want to call it--to the internet and the social world it provides us."
Imagine a world where people rarely leave their apartments. Why leave when they have everything they need at an eyeblink? Everyone wears computer goggles that keep them connected to everything all the time. They can even impose their own world views on everything around them.

This means that although everyone wears the same grey sweats, you can make people's clothes look like anything you want. Some people have Greek world views. Others pirates, or renaissance, or whatever. The point is, NO ONE sees the world for what it really is.

How do you learn to live again after living so connected? It's like the human version of a hive mind in a way.

Wymore spins a great story of one man's journey from half-awake to fully cognizant of his world situation. And his decisions no longer affect just his life. He digs into real issues humanity needs to come to grips with: our dependence on entertainment, computers, governments to tell us what to do, think, eat, etc. If we don't watch where we're headed, we will end up complacent gear heads that live solely for the next vid, feed, game, whatever and lose the things that really make up life. Friendship, touch, sight, smell, truth, wisdom.

I give Theocracide by James Wymore a 4.5. It's a great read and I highly recommend it!

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3:  I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

4 comments:

  1. And we've kicked off your tour for the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! As soon as I get all my kids safely to school I'll start checking each blog for comments. :)

      Thanks Alex!

      Delete
  2. Came over here from Alex's blog and glad I did. Nice to meet you :) Congrats on your book, it truely sounds wonderful! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...