Monday, July 15, 2013

A Feral Darkness by Doranna Durgin

From Goodreads:
As a child, dog-loving Brenna Fallon naïvely invokes an ancient Celtic deity to save her beloved hound--and inadvertently anchors the new-found power at a spring on her family's farm.

She doesn't know she's also left an opening for a far more malevolent force.

Years later, thanks to the actions of several angry young men, Brenna discovers the terrible potential of that gateway. With a devastating plague unfolding abruptly around her, she must depend on her wits, a stranger she doesn't trust, and a mysterious stray dog who becomes more than just a faithful companion as she struggles to drive back the threat of a modern Black Death.

Welded by a desperate sacrifice, woman, man, and dog face the feral darkness together.

My Take:
I picked this one up on the recommendation from a friend. There were no expectations on my part, and the first chapter had me really confused. There was a lot of jumping around in time and I wasn't sure who I was supposed to be focused on. I almost stopped reading, but I'm glad I didn't.

Once the background info was set down through those 2-3 (?) short (thank goodness they were short!) scenes the story settled down to one timeline and one character. That's when I was able to find my footing and enjoy the story. I learned quite a bit about dog grooming. This was nice since I've been trying to groom my own dog for the last year. However, the story really came alive with the creep factor and the supernatural elements. Even the romance felt barely there compared to the dark force haunting Brenna, her land, and ultimately all of humanity.

I give A Feral Darkness a wibbly wobbly 3.8 which I've rounded up on other sites as a 4. Ha! That's a new one for me. I liked it but don't think I'd classify it as "mind candy". It's well written and a fun read, especially if you like Wiccan influences.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

Amazon Link

6 comments:

  1. So many good books on my favorite blogs this morning. This looks like another one to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm trying to get caught up on my read pile that don't have reviews written yet.

      Delete
  2. Dog grooming - interesting thing to learn. Not into wiccan stuff though, so I'll probably pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, I'm not into wiccan stuff either buy people keep sneaking it into their books and I don't know about it until I'm half way through. That's why I thought I'd mention it in the review. That way people are prepared and can choose.

      This one wasn't heavy on witch craft. The girl makes a wish as a child and her unknown powers sets something loose. Something good, but it really opens things up to something bad as well.

      Delete
  3. This story definitely has a unique slant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a unique storyline. I'll check this one out! Thanks for a candid review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...