Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cowboy with a Cause by Carla Cassidy

I'm traveling for two weeks so it may take a while for me to respond to comments, but please leave them anyway. I'll post pictures from the book signing early next week.

Okay, I didn't list this one on my "To Review" list, but here it is anyway. I spent a lot of the spring reading romance novels. They aren't my normal thing, but I've found I love these Romantic Suspense ones. In fact, I think this novel had a lot to do with me deciding to go ahead and write the one in my head. I figured, "Why not?"

From Goodreads:
"I'd apologize for kissing you, but I'm not all that sorry."
Dancer Melanie Brooks had escaped small-town Oklahoma, giving up the country for Broadway's bright lights. Yet after her mother's funeral called her back, her own health issues forced her to stay. Now her tenant, too-hot-for-his-own-good Adam Benson, is giving her a reason to dance again. But has a killer set his sights on her, too?

Adam knows a little something about fresh starts. As for his beautiful neighbor, he doesn't see a wheelchair—he sees a woman who understands. But as the heat grows between them, he can't avoid the feeling that more than her big-city past haunts her—and that danger has been lurking, waiting to strike….

My Take:
I'm a sucker for cowboys, don't know why, but I am. I even devoured Louis L'Amour books in high school. Anyway, this one had all the hero factor he needed to make this story work. Melanie's health issues came on very fast, and at times it felt like a convenient device for the author, but in the end I didn't care. The chemistry between her and Adam was enjoyable. :)

My favorite part of the story though was the suspense. How creepy to know someone is watching you, judging you--and then deciding that you don't get to live. I loved that Adam brought out Melanie's own strength. He was the hero by helping her realize that she could save herself. That's something girls don't get a lot of these days--you can be beautiful, feminine and strong as nails.

I give Cowboy with a Cause a solid 4.

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

Amazon Link

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree that the strength of females isn't shown enough in romance novels. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A cowboy thriller - don't see too many of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, it really isn't about being a cowboy though which is a bit sad.

      Delete
  3. Charity,
    This review came up in a google search. Yes, I'm one of those authors who occasionally goggle myself. I just want to thank you for taking the time to read my book and also am pleased that you got the message I wanted to convey. When I wrote this book my daughter had awakened one morning with foot drop and neuropathy and went directly into a wheelchair. This was a book written for her and so it was a book of my heart. I wanted to show her how strong she could be. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that inside tidbit about the story! It's got to be hard to have something so debilitating come on so quickly. I hope your daughter enjoyed the story and found the strength she needed to cope with the changes.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Charity, how cool that you just got a personal insight from the author! Things like that are so special! Sounds like an enjoyable read.

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I've posted exciting news about the next Writers Platform Building Campaign on my blog. Yep, I've got the scoop! Hope you check it out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are there people who don't love cowboys? I'm suspicious of them as humans if they don't, but I was raised in Idaho, so maybe I'm biased. I'll have to check out romantic suspense. Sounds like it could be great.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...