Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Sora's Quest by T.L. Shreffler

Hey everybody! I'm bringing you another review today, but wanted to take a moment to remind you that I have a facebook page. If you are on facebook you need to go like my page. Why? Because that's where I post things like--The Magic Wakes is free for kindle July 8th and 9th on Amazon!

That's right! I forgot to mention it here and now the chance has slipped away. Facebook is where I want to focus my marketing. I want to keep this little blog as a place where I can be myself and not bombard you with BUY MY BOOK and WRITE A REVIEW...Please?

You can also follow me on Twitter. Everything I post on my facebook page automatically gets posted to my twitter feed. It's the best way to find out the most up to date info about sale prices. :)

Now, on to the review. BTW, I just checked and this book is FREE today and always for kindle on Amazon.
From Goodreads:
Sora Fallcrest was born into Nobility. She has it all: money, maids, a fancy estate. But she never expected to be kidnapped.

Abducted from her manor, Sora is plunged into a world of magical races, arcane jewelry and forgotten lore. She finds herself at the mercy of a dangerous assassin, haunted by an even darker past. She yearns for freedom, but he won't let her go -- not when her Cat's Eye necklace is the only thing that can save his life.

But the necklace itself presents a problem. It is an ancient device from the long forgotten War of the Races, and its magic has the ability to steal souls. Can Sora learn to wield its power -- or will the power wield her? (Winner of the SKOW 2006 Best Fantasy Award)

My Take:
I picked this up on the recommendation of a friend. This was a great fantasy ride. It had all the elements of a quest fantasy without feeling to bogged down in FANTASY, if you know what I mean. If not, let me try to explain.

Sora and all of the other characters felt so real to me. They had fears and emotions I could relate to even though they were on this fantastical journey where death could find them at least 50 ways each day. Sora was young and naive to the world, but she grew into a strong capable woman. I loved watching her growth.

As much as I loved Sora, I'm the most intrigued by Crash. Even though he came off cruel, cold, unmovable at first, I found myself drawn to him. The mystery isn't solved, not even scratched really in this first novel and that's what will take me to the next one. And I secretly hope he'll find Sora again someday. Maybe not, but the romantic in me likes the fact that she was able to "wake" him up. He starts to feel again, grow a conscious, want to be better.

Here's the best part, I didn't know this was self published until I read some other reviews. Great job on editing!

I give Sora's Quest a solid 4.5. I really enjoyed this one!

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

12 comments:

  1. If I was on Facebook I would gladly like your page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity, may I offer a suggestion? Often I read your reviews and want to add the books to my TBR on Goodreads. Is there anyway that, somewhere in your post, you could link to the book's page on GR? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Brooke! I've just updated the "From Goodreads" with a link to the page.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Alex!

    Give it a try Liz. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the cover and tantalizing review! i could use a good fantasy quest to read on vacay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not on facebook but I know I need to join at some point. I just don't want to. *sigh* But when I do I'll come like you.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I know, the peer pressure is horrible isn't it? The funny thing is I spend less time on facebook now that I've created an author page. I used to waste so much time playing games, but I've finally grown up. Or just realized I can get so much more done by staying away from facebook in that aspect.

      Delete
  7. Great review. I've just downloaded the book to my Kindle. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :-)

    PS I like you on Facebook. The question is, do YOU like ME? ;-) https://www.facebook.com/callyjacksonauthor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...