Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Second Sign by Elizabeth Arroyo

From Goodreads:
Bred to believe in the war between angels and demons, Gabby has come to the conclusion that love is responsible for war, jealousy, and all the other deadly sins she can think of. So when she’s exiled to the middle of nowhere for getting kicked out of her fifth school for fighting, she doesn't expect to meet Jake. Much less fall in love. But Jake is quickly drawn to the eerie beauty of her violet eyes while Gabby is unsettled by their undeniable connection.

When a demon guardian comes to collect her soul, she refuses to give it up. She’s not a demon. She can’t be. Her father and twin brother are angels. The demon gives Gabby twenty-four hours to decide her allegiance, and then starts killing her short list of friends, leaving a message behind: She is the Second Sign.

As Gabby and Jake begin to unravel the mystery behind the Second Sign, she learns Jake may be the key to saving her soul. But it means a sacrifice has to be made that will change their lives forever.

My Take:
This one was hard for me. I don't read a lot of fallen angel stories. For some reason they all feel the same to me, even when they are completely different. (Yeah, it doesn't make sense to me either.) I guess technically this one isn't a fallen angel book to begin with, but let's jump in anyway.

What I Liked:

  • Gabby. She's real, quirky, emotional, and every bit a teenage girl who gets her wires crossed leading to trouble. 
  • Jake is the perfect hero for her. He's all guy and some of his actions make it easy for her to misunderstand his intentions.
  • Arroyo has some good twists and turns in the mystery part of the story. You're never quite sure who the good guys are or the bad.
  • She knows how to write terror!

What bothered me:

  • There were a few typos, but that wasn't too bad. However, there were some spots where I just had no clue what just happened. I don't know if it was an editing mistake, or if it's just because I don't read a lot in this genre and am clueless.
  • I felt like the book contained two styles of writing. For the most part it read like a YA book, but the murder scenes were gruesome and dark. And detailed. More like some of the hard core murder/detective novels I've read. It jarred me a bit each time.
In the end I enjoyed the story and was torn about where Gabby finds herself. She's changed, and yet she's still not sure what she is. And Jake is...oops...sorry, you won't get any spoilers out of me. :)


I give The Second Sign by Elizabeth Arroyo a 4!

1-5 scale and what it means:
1: I couldn’t even finish it / just plain bad
2: I hope I didn’t pay for this / disappointing
3: I didn’t hate it, but it was still missing something / forgettable but inoffensive
3.5: On the line between good and ok / like, not love
4: Solid mind candy / worth reading
4.5: So very close to perfection! / must read
5: I could not put it down and I’m still thinking about it! / a true treasure

7 comments:

  1. I can forgive typos, but if I don't understand what's going on, the book loses me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find typos in all kinds of books, big publishing and small. But I do need to feel drawn in and like the book has a cohesive plot throughout. I think the jumping in styles would be hard for me...that being said I like angel books so still might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working my way though a paranormal story that also seems to be in two genres. I love the contemporary YA part in the beginning, but once the MC discovered she's not human, it abruptly becomes high fantasy and I'm having trouble finishing. I guess I'm not the target audience.

    BTW, I have an award for you on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. faults didn't kill the story. Yeah typos can be found in a lot of book, don't like them but it still happens. The novel sounds great and I'm a paranormal fan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The faults didn't kill the story and I did enjoy it, so if you like paranormal (Sheena-kay!) then check it out.

    Heading your way now Laurel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get the angel thing. That's just me. I guess I'm not much of a paranormal reader.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...