Monday, December 9, 2013

Pieces of Chaos by Tommy Smith

Today we've got another author interview. I met Tommy Smith at the Springdale Library event a couple months ago. His newest book PIECES OF CHAOS is now out.

When and why did you begin writing? Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I wrote for years without sharing much of it with others or pursuing publication. I began selling my work, first in the form of short stories, in 2006.

What I write is deliberately infused with challenge. In a number of cases, I’ve confronted aspects of my life or the world around me and flung out the results. Imagine these results as a variety of spices while the products of the imagination are the dish-to-be sizzling in the pan. My writing isn’t crème brûlée. It may lack the sense of escapism that some would seek in reading.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?

My newest release is a collection of short stories, some of which have seen other markets over the years and some of which have never appeared elsewhere. Since each story has its own back story, I’ll save some time and mention which story was the hardest to write; that would be “The Capellan Dream.” It was my first published short story, though not the first written. It appeared in Black Petals back when it was still a print magazine.

“The Capellan Dream” is the story of an obsessed artist whose work is stolen. For some time after I wrote that story, I wasn’t that happy with it. Over time, though, I became more at ease with it. Today I can look back and appreciate that I wrote it, and I’ve even chosen to include it in a book that might be a defining example of what my work is with Pieces of Chaos.

What genre do you consider your book(s)?

Poisonous was horror. Pieces of Chaos varies more as it’s comprised of short stories. Much of it is horror but not all of it. All of it is, however, dark fiction.

Have you ever hated something you wrote?

Hate is a strong word. Yes. Generally anything I’ve written in the middle of doing a lot of drinking. Most people will never see any of that.

What is your favorite theme/genre to write about?

I’ve mostly written horror and fantasy. Some of the fantasy markets have thought my work too dark for their tastes. I have a rejection letter from a fantasy publication stating as much in exact words. I’ve gained more of an audience for my horror writing, so my tendency has become to lean more toward the horror side. It’s most accurate to say that I write dark fiction. It’s a label that is nonspecific but unrestrictive.

How did you come up with the title?

This is simple, so I’ll make things even easier by giving a long, drawn-out answer. Pieces of Chaos is a collection of just that. I’ve always known that my first story collection would be a collection of chaos and that I would mention that in the title. “Chaos” is also part of an internet handle that I used years ago.



Bio: Tommy B. Smith is a writer of dark fiction and the author of Poisonous and Pieces of Chaos. His work has also appeared in numerous publications over the years to include Morpheus Tales, Every Day Fiction, Black Petals, Night to Dawn, and a variety of other magazines and anthologies. His presence currently infests Fort Smith, Arkansas, where he resides with his wife and cats. More information can be found on his website.


Blurb: This book is a collision of ink and paper and an awakening of possibilities. Captured within are fragments of glass, metal, bone, ice, dreams, visions, and lives. Inside its pages, you will read of a lost village and the burning affliction of its people. You will share in an engineer’s unveiling of a hidden conspiracy. You will visit with a child confined to a tiny rectangular world on the brink of dissolution, and you will follow a girl on her trek from a home of crime and poverty across barren fields of ice to where an unspeakable force dwells. These are but a few of the works you will find among this collection of fourteen tales which blends the cosmic, the psychological, the human, and the inhuman in bringing together the essential dark fiction from author Tommy B. Smith’s pen of chaos.




Links:
Website
Facebook

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Tommy! Don't drink and write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dark fiction and a lot of what I write has the characters in bad situations. Tommy I'll be looking out for your work and don't drink too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drinking and writing... Maybe I should try that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good writing is always deliberately infused with challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...