Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Doctor Who--B is for Bad Wolf and IWSG

My IWSG post is at the bottom.


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #155.

Bad Wolf--This thread or theme was woven through several episodes of Christopher Eccleston's time as the Doctor as well as David Tennant's. Bad Wolf even makes an appearance in Matt Smith's "Day of the Doctor". In fact there are too many other incidents to mention, but I wanted to highlight the first time Billie Piper (Rose Tyler) became the Bad Wolf because it ties into my second B item for today.


Which brings us to Boenkind or more specifically...
The Face of Boe--This is a delightful little mystery that Whovians like to bat around. Is Jack Harkness the Face of Boe? The evidence is there and it makes for another brilliant storyline that crosses over and through two incarnations of the Doctor as well as into the spin off show Torchwood.

Rose, as Bad Wolf (above) brings Jack back to life on Satellite Five and sets him on the course to becoming the Face of Boe. Here's a clip where David Tennant and John Barrowman talk about it. I think they look like they would be tons of fun to hang out with.





Don't you just love Captain Jack!


What am I insecure about this April?

Three things:
1. I'm querying again!
2. I've already received a request for a full--All week I've been trying to figure out why I'm so freaked out about this. It's what I want, right? I think I'm back to being scared of success.
3. I'm pitching the same YA Urban Fantasy to an agent at a conference at the end of the month.

My plan? Be as prepared as I can be and then pretend I'm sitting down with my best friend.

How do you overcome the fear of succeeding? Have you ever pitched to an agent? Have any tips for me?

I'll let you know next month how it goes.

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. I'm currently #114.

22 comments:

  1. Wow. Good luck on the pitch! When your book is in all the bookstores and you are a jillionaire, remember us little people who were the first ones to comment on your "B" post and maybe throw a couple bucks at us as you drive by in your fleet of limousines.

    Why do you need a FLEET of limos, anyway? YOU HOITY TOITY AUTHORS! ISN'T ONE ENOUGH?

    *goes to happy place*

    I remember watching a few episodes of "Torchwood." You're going to get me into this show by the end of this series. I can tell. IT IS INEVITABLE.

    Sorry. I was channeling Thor, God Of Thunder.

    *goes to Asgardian place*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) If only I could work my way to jillionaire! If I did, I'd start my own publishing company to help more authors get published!

      Doctor Who and Torchwood are amazing, so yes, it is inevitable. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm still working on the fear of success...
    Congratulations on the full request though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you handle it pretty well. You are one of the most helpful and supportive author bloggers out there.

      Delete
  3. Good luck on your upcoming pitch!
    Not sure how to conquer fear of anything except "keep thinking happy, positive thoughts!"

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    My A to Z
    Caring for My Veteran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I'm doing. Thinking happy thoughts and holding onto the "this is it!" attitude.

      Delete
  4. I was definitely not expecting the Face of Boe storyline and it's still one of my favorites to this day! And I'm so glad they (eventually) tied up ten and Rose's storyline. I was really upset over that (but now I can proudly wear my Bad Wolf T-shirt without remembering the anger of being left hanging).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my second oldest has had BAD WOLF written on her mirror for years now. I need to find her a shirt. I think she thinks she's really the Bad Wolf.

      And I wish we had MORE on how Jack became the Face of Boe.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the request! Good Luck.

    Captain Jack is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with request for the full ms! :)

    Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption
    Minion, Capt. Alex's Ninja Minion Army
    The 2014 Blogging from A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought they pretty much said Captain Jack was the face of Boe, or he would be. Oh, I hope they do another season of Torchwood. The last one on Starz was so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sort of did. At the end of one episode with Tennant and Martha, Jack says, "they used to call me the Face of Boe". That's all we ever got "officially". I'd love a real episode to explain a little more how it happened since Jack regrew an entire body after getting blown up in one of the Torchwood series.

      Delete
  8. I've just been introduced to Dr. Who
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! There will be lots of posts and clips this month. Hopefully I won't spoil anything too bad for you.

      Delete
  9. The Face of Boe is ugly. Good luck with your requests and being less scared of success...and agents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the querying is successful. Good idea to do the Challenge with your kids. That's one creepy/-ugly fellow you got posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I hope querying is successful too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Best of luck querying and pitching to the agent. Meeting an agent in person sounds terrifying. Although they probably meet a lot of hyper-nervous, insecure writers. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they do. That's why I decided to send out a few query letters first. Now my confidence is a bit better so maybe this meeting won't be too bad.

      Delete
  12. OMGoodness I'm so behind in replying and visiting! If the storms don't get too crazy today I hope to get caught up. It's not even 10 am and we've already got a tornado watch.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had anything to do with agents, mainly because I'm self-published and have not gone down the traditional printing route yet. Advice? I've met beggars and royalty, and at the end of the day ... they are all human beings. Confidence in your product is all you need my friend.
    Now we come on to Rose Tyler, one of my top sidekicks in the many series.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...