Thursday, April 3, 2014

Doctor Who--C is for the Centurian

Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #155.

The Last Centurian AKA Rory Williams--Rory is one of my very favorite companions EVER. Turning him into a Roman Centurian that stands guard over his wife while she waits in the Pandorica for thousands of years endeared him even more. And then there is this scene. My oldest daughter echoes the words at the beginning--"Coolest scene EVER!" (Oh! and there are Cybermen in the clip too!)


Clara "Souffle Girl" Oswald or "The Impossible Girl". She may have more nicknames than any other companion, but I liked her instantly. It took a while for me to call her anything but souffle girl, but I finally caught on. She first appears in Asylum of the Daleks and she sort of broke my heart with her wittiness, dimples, burnt souffle's and mantra "I'm human!" And of course, we can't leave out "Run, you clever boy." Clara returned to be the Doctor's companion half a series later, giving him the most intriguing puzzle to solve as she died over and over again only for him to find her somewhere else in his time stream.



Cybermen--One of the Doctor's reoccurring nemesis. These men of steel could be compared to a
combination of the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz in appearance and the Borg of Star Trek. Except they've been around longer (I think). Anyway, these creatures start as human, or what ever world has been invaded, and are "upgraded". They have no emotions and view them as a weakness.






Cheem, Trees of--I loved the diversity in the Whoverse. The creativity. This is Jabe, a Tree of Cheem who gives her life to save the Doctor in the episode "The End of the World". Isn't she beautiful!





Okay, how can you not fall in love with Rory or Clara? I can't even pick a favorite. If you had to pick between these two, which would be your #1 Companion and why?

13 comments:

  1. Cybermen sound like a Borg-Cylon mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with Dr. Who. *gasp* I know, I know, I don't get around much! :)

    You might want to check out my post today, I think you'll like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Alex yeah. Never thought of it that way, but yep!

    @Kristin, you are awesome! I'm so glad you've joined our "community".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'd go with Rory, because he's so loyal. Then again, Clara has demonstrated that she's pretty loyal, too. Hmmm, tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm out of my element here, but I'm sending you some blog love anyways, just because you're awesome.

    I guess I'd say Rory because I have lots of guy friends, and they're easy to get along with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. God I love Dr Who! almost addicted, I love both but Clara is so darn amazing, I mean she's The Impossible Girl! loved this post, anything about Eleven puts a smile on my face, regardless of the fact that the whole thing was tragic, I still love the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. all of my favorite Cs! Thank you thank you thank you!

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai)
    My A to Z Challenge
    Caring for My Veteran

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing a Doctor Who theme A to Z? I will be back every day! I absolutely loooovvveee Doctor Who! The last Centurian is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That scene was the coolest ever. He wouldn't have to repeat the question to me. Cheem is very pretty. Those Cybermen don't joke. Best post so far, I was totally engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not familiar with Dr. Who... not much of a movie person...
    But there are lots of bloggers who would love your theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rory is a favorite of mine because of the character journey he went through. He started out stammering and shy and turned into an utter badass.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked David Tennant as the Doctor, because having grown up with all the earlier ones, I thought he did a great job bringing the character to new, and younger audiences. He is probably responsible for the series appealing to so many adults.
    Clara, played by the lovely Jenna Coleman ... what a darling she was, in and out of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rory or Clara? Rory. Every time. Clara is cute and perky and has a lot going for her, but Rory stood by the woman he loved for two-thousand years. He died for her, came back, died some more. Oh and he punched the Doctor, twice.

    If you had Rory as your buddy then things were going to be fun. Course Amy would have to come along too. That goes without saying.

    --
    Timothy S. Brannan
    The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...