Friday, April 4, 2014

Doctor Who--D is for Doctor Donna


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #155.

The Doctor Donna, or Donna Noble is one of  my favorite companions. Okay, I loved most of them, but Donna had spunk and attitude. I loved that she had no romantic inclinations toward the doctor. She had lots of names for the Doctor--skinny boy, Martian. I mean, what's not to like about Catherine Tate's sassy portrayal of this fast talking diva? She wasn't afraid to boss the Doctor around and it made for some really great times.

Here's the saddest moment in her time stream for me. The moment she knows she will be saying goodbye to all she's learned, all she's become. "Don't make me go back" breaks my heart. By forgetting all she becomes the old shallow Donna with self-esteem problems. Nothing could be sadder than that.


You can't talk about Doctor Who and not talk about...

Daleks--They are the oldest and most frequent foes of the Doctor, having faced him several times in every one of his incarnations. They first appeared in 1963! He fought them in the last great time war. The Daleks were created by the Kaled scientist, Davros as travel machines. He had deduced that the years of radiation and chemical poisoning from an ongoing war would lead his race to mutate into immobile organisms. (source) Like the Cybermen, they are without compassion or pity and view emotions as weakness.

I still think they would make the most awesome salt and pepper shakers. One of these days I'll buy these.

Diary--more specifically, the diary (Amazon) that the eleventh Doctor gives to River Song. I. WANT. ONE. Since River and the Doctor's relationship was complicated by them meeting in reverse time order--meaning he met her for the first time on the last day of her life--she needed a way to keep up with things. I'd shiver with delight every time she pulled this diary out of his reach and said, "Spoilers!"


Here's your question for today from my oldest daughter...
How in the world do the Daleks keep returning when the Doctor has "wiped" them out so many times?

15 comments:

  1. I guess there's a Dalek machine somewhere that just keeps pumping out more daleks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Not sure. I think they made replicas a long, long time ago in a dark, secret place... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the best thing that ever happened to my family was the new series of doctor who and we LOVE donna noble and her grandpa. I grew up watching the originals and I was so worried when the new series was announced but all the actors and writers have done such a fabulous job of introducing Dr Who to a whole new generation of viewers and fans without losing the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a Catherine Tate fan long before she started on Who, and I was a bit scared when she started they were going to try to make her the next Rose, but I'm so glad they went down the besties route...Catherine and David had such chemistry that really would have been screwed up with a romantic storyline.

    I live in bum-fudge Arkansas and there aren't many Doctor Who fans around here (and not a lot of people have even heard of it in the first place), but those that have usually know the Daleks better than Who himself. It's just one of those iconic characters that stick in people's psyche.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that the diary is for sale on Amazon. My friend is avid Doctor Who fan. And, yep, my kids have watched it too.

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kids have watched the entire series. Sadly, I have not. I guess I was too busy writing while they burned brain cells in front of the TV. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just joined as a follower to your blog, and I hope to see you around the A-Z. I really enjoyed reading this, and I enjoyed the video clip.
    Best,
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I saw a crocheted Dalek somewhere... Someone went and crocheted all the Doctors, too. And Donna's end was so heartbreaking. She made such a journey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha the Daleks are cool, so old fashioned and back-to-basics type of enemies, without them the show will lose a lot of laughs because frankly that's all I want to do when I see them! maybe one sneaked long ago into the Pandora box before Amy? as for Donna and the Diary, like I told you before the whole Dr Who thing is so terribly tragic and still I can't keep away from it :|

    ReplyDelete
  10. That diary looks nice...Ahem, repeated foes can be awesome or tedious. Dr. Donna sounds great, I love spunk.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not a big Doctor Who fan but I adore Catherine Tate! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Donna was one of my favorites too! I loved how they weren't any romantic feelings between the Doctor and Donna, but they were both companions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donna is my favorite companion too. I loved her spunk.
    A friend got me River's diary for Christmas, although it's empty. =( LOL

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember the Daleks before they could negotiate stairs - and the reason they are still around, is because there is always a hidden variation. There is the time element too, which means they could have evolved in a historic time and took to space.
    Catherine Tate was superb in character, and the writers got it just right with the chemistry.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...