Saturday, April 5, 2014

Doctor Who--E is for Eccleston


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #155.

Christopher Eccleston played Doctor #9 for one season in 2005. This is probably when a  lot of us discovered Doctor Who for the first time. Here's a quote from Eccleston that sums it up nicely.
"I think it's more important to be your own man than be successful, so I left. But the most important thing is that I did it, not that I left. I really feel that, because it kind of broke the mold and it helped to reinvent it." - Eccleston speaking about Doctor Who
Eccleston is an amazing actor, but I didn't realize the impact he'd made on me until we rented Thor 2. First you have to understand that I'm TERRIBLE with names and faces. It takes a long time  for me to remember band or singer names and match them up with their sound or face. So, we were sitting there watching this movie and there was just something about Malekith.

I finally announced to the room, "I think that's Chris Eccleston." My daughters paused and agreed I might be right. We all pulled out our phones and started looking up Thor 2 on IMBD. Sure enough! What was it that tipped me off?

His voice. Love it!

Eknodine--creepy aliens that lived inside the elderly in the episode "Amy's Choice". This appendage could come out of their mouth and they would spray a green cloud that could turn humans to dust.

This was a cool episode where the Doctor, Amy and Rory have to decide which reality is a dream.





Out of Eccleston, Tennant and Smith, which is your favorite Doctor and why?

12 comments:

  1. Christopher Eccleston is a brilliant actor, I'm weary of anything that has to do with Mythological Gods and stuff so I didn't watch Thor, but now that you mentioned it I think I'll give Thor2 a chance :) Amy's Choice is one of my favorite episodes, seriously I still feel suspicious of bird sounds (and sleepy of course). What was the name of the actor who played the Dr in the dream? the one who gave them the test? he's a very well known actor and here I am forgetting his name. Just want to say I'm really having a good time reading/watching this series of yours, it's the best so keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Amy's Choice the Dream Lord was played by Toby Jones. It was a great episode!

    As for Thor, if you watch don't expect a lot. Then you can enjoy it. :) And, I totally called the ending before it was revealed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you'll be watching for him in other films!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eccleston was my favorite. BY FAR. I actually quit watching when he left. He brought so much quirkiness to the role of doctor and really pulled off the "unpredictable" angle so well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognized his voice during the movie at the theatre, but it was my husband who leaned over and said, "That's the Carpenter," the bad guy from Gone in 60 Seconds. I knew him as the only Doctor Who I've watched so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He had such a great smile as the Doctor. That's what I remember most. My favorite: Tennant. I just like to look at him ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those aliens were creepy. I liked Chris as a doctor, but David Tennant and Mat Smith more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am TERRIFIED or joining The Doctor fandom. I know I'll love it without question. I'm just already so sucked in to my other obsessions sometimes I think one more will siphon all that's left of my attention span. :)

    Dara the Writer

    ReplyDelete
  9. In all the years of watching Who...there is no doctor that speaks to me more than Tennant. Tom Baker would definitely be my second (which is what made Smith's finale so sweet...to see Tennant and Baker on the screen together sent me into crying fits!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently rewatched all of Nine's episodes and it reminded me of how much I loved him. Well, I like all the Doctors, but watching that series again, rekindled my love for Eccleston's Doctor.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seeing them as an adult, and with my previous knowledge of the other Doctor portrayals I find each of these three had his own mark. They all place their own mark on the character, but some more than others.
    Eccleston was one of the most serious, but because of that, when he said something humorous, it was hysterical.
    Tennant was good because he was quirky at times, which is exactly right. He was good at switching to deadly serious in a heartbeat.
    Smith, now he was the man who appealed to children, dads, mums, everybody. Quirky, and even quirky when he was being serious. I wasn't sure about his portrayal at first, but it quickly grew on me. I'd have him as first of the three, but not by much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...