Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Doctor Who--H is for Harriet Jones


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #155.

Harriet Jones--Poor Harriet. She did what she thought was right and the Doctor ended her time as Prime Minister with four simple words whispered to an aid, "Doesn't she look tired?" And yet in the end, she comes to the rescue one more time. She gives her life to call the Doctor back to save the earth. Her death is not a part of this clip, but it's a great moment when several of the Doctor's companions come together. The clip is from Stolen Earth.



Handbots--The 17th Generation Handroid Handbot 8001 was an alien medical robot designed to assist residents of the Two Streams Facility, providing guidance and - if necessary - medicine (known as "kindnesses") to the patients. The Girl Who Waited is one of my favorite episodes. It's where I really fell in love with Rory Williams. He wanted to save both versions of Amy, not caring how awkward it would be. It let the world see into his kind heart.  Click here for a youtube summary.

Headless Monks--The Headless Monks, also known as the Order of the Headless, were a religious order who believed in listening to their hearts rather than their minds, to the point of having themselves beheaded. We meet them on Demon's Run in A Good Man Goes to War.

Dorian Maldovar ends up as a head in a box thanks to these guys, and rumors have it that Captain Jack may have "made a donation" thus moving  him toward his end as the Face of Boe.



I might join the Headless Monks just to get a cool flaming sword. Would you?

And I'm kidding about making a donation, so don't come knocking on my door.

17 comments:

  1. Don't you kind of need a head to live though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think so, but in the Whoverse I guess you don't. It makes me think of the scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz--something about people without brains doing a lot of talking or something.

      Delete
  2. This is a movie have not watched so I can not comment. But I can say thanks for joining the challenge I enjoyed my visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I'm late to the party, Alex let me know that you were doing Who A-Z.
    Harriet Jones was still better than SAXON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I actually really liked Harriet. She was only trying to do what she thought best.

      Delete
  4. I think that was one of my all time favorite David moments, just one little phrase and he completely destroyed a person...the power of a time lord! But that scene really shows how amazing David is because everything he did was through his face and his expressions...he only spoke a sentence, but you really FELT it because of the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! David really is an excellent actor because of his expressions and tone of voice. I've loved him in all the other things I've seen him in since Doctor Who as well.

      Delete
  5. The whole headless thing freaked me out. The swords are pretty cool, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much great stuff in Dr. Who. I'm so glad that it the show continues on.
    Happy A to Zing
    hopeful for spring

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I must watch this show. At least one more than the finale, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Visiting on the 9th day of the #challenge. What a great idea that you and your kids picked the theme and are working on it. Something they will never forget. You are a busy lady, but if you have time or interest, I am writing about gardens and related topics this month. Stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All great choices for Doctor Who. I hadn't heard that about Captain Jack making a donation. I've really been hoping The Face of Bo makes another appearance and we learn more.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the cool clip and nope I need me head :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, Harriet Jones. She was cool and then she did something stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, thanks for stopping by everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nice piece of Doctor history here. I like it when characters from different time periods come together. It's actually an idea I'm trying to work into my third novel ... bringing in the characters from the first two in cameo roles.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...