Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Doctor Who--S is for Sonic Screwdriver

Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #149.

First, a personal "S".

#Storymakers14! I get on a plane tomorrow to go enjoy the conference. The keynote speaker is Orson Scott Card, and Brandon Sanderson will also be there to teach intensives. The best part? Who knows! I'll let you know when I get back and after A to Z. Now, to the Doctor...

Goodness! I could fill a week with "S" things from Doctor Who. I'll only mention a few of them and as briefly as possible today.


Smith, Matt--The Eleventh Doctor. As I've mentioned, it took me a while to fall in love with him. Mostly due to the fact that David Tennant was so amazing. However, now that I look back on my favorite episodes, more than half of them are with Matt Smith's Doctor. In the end, his quirkiness won me over.

Sonic Screwdriver--The Doctor's tool of choice. I'm not sure how he reads the thing, but it seems able to scan everything. It can scan for alien tech, cut things, turn things on and off, run programs for hundreds of years, and it's really good at opening doors.

Slitheen--These were a family of Raxacoricofallipatorian criminals that tried to take over London one year. They would "steal" a body and use it as a disguise--zippering it on. They were quite a "gas", and not in a pleasant way.
Silurians--I believe this picture shows a "classic" Silurian and one from the newer series. Also known as "Earth Reptiles". They populated Earth before humans! Madam Vastra (pictured above) is a great character. She's a kickin' warrior who sides with the Doctor and investigates paranormal activities.
Sontarans--The "potato head" military clones! Seriously, they raged an eternal war and the only honorable death was on the battlefield.
Silents--One of the creepier antagonists in my mind. They never say anything and if you looked away you forgot they ever existed. I did learn something new while preparing for this post. They were genetically engineered by the Church to allow people to confess their sins without remembering doing so, accomplished by fashioning the Priests so anyone looking at them would forget their encounter when they looked away.

A group of them broke away and became obsessed with killing the Doctor and stopping the Siege of Trenzalore. How? By traveling back in time to Earth, influencing human development and trying to stage the death of the Doctor at Lake Silencio. My daughter pointed out that the Silents are a little bit like Slenderman with their bald heads and suits. See, uber creepy!

Sarah Jane Smith--She's the darling of Doctor Who companions (played by Elisabeth Sladen). She started traveling with the Third and Fourth incarnations of the Doctor and returned for several episodes with Number Ten.


I can't think of a question. How about today YOU ask me a question?

11 comments:

  1. As someone who was a Who fan "back in the day", the return of Sarah Jane was the highlight of that entire first story arch with her! Her passing was extremely sad, but you never could tell she was sick the entire run of either the episodes of Who she was on or The Sarah Jane Adventures. During Journey's End when all the Who companions were helping to fly the Tardis, I remember bawling like a big baby (and, it was one of the last times Elisabeth would appear on screen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently re-watched the episode she met Ten. When she begs him to actually say goodbye I bawled.

      Delete
  2. ... I forgot what I read. Something about silence, right? What are all those tally marks? ;);)

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo! I saw somewhere that tomorrow is The Day of Silence (or something!) and Doctor Who fans should wear tally marks all day long just to see who "gets it". I'll be flying and I'm wondering if I'm crazy enough to do that. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I got my wife to watch it with me at the start of Matt Smiths time as the Doctor. She developed a crush on him, so now I am almost glad he left. ;-)
    Sarah Jane Smith was my favourite companion! The Silents are my favourite New WHO monster! You are batting a thousand with this 'S' post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo hoo! Yeah, I really will miss Matt. I'm trying very hard to tell myself I'll love Peter Capaldi too--just for different reasons that I will have to discover. He looks so serious!

      Delete
  4. Some cool aliens.
    Have an awesome time at the conference!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charity. I'll give you an easy one since you've been doing such a good job with this entire series of yours.
    How many versions of the Sonic Screwdriver have there been?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sonic screwdriver, who doesn't? I love how it changes for each doctor too. I wonder what the new one will be like ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. They sell sonic screwdrivers online someplace. Unfortunately, they're only replicas. They don't work. (Darn!)

    Did I already mention the tally mark prank? The Silence creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...