Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Doctor Who--T is for Time Lords


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #149.

T is another letter that has way more items than I can blog about today. Here are some of my family's favorites as quickly as possible.

Tennant, David--The Tenth Doctor 2005-2010. He's the one that made us fall in love with Doctor Who. How can you not love his big smile off set by his serious reflective moments? He fell for Rose and let the universe glimpse his loss.

Time Lords--The Gallifreyans had one of the oldest and mightiest civilisations in the universe. As the Time Lords, they held absolute power for some ten million years. (TV: The Ultimate Foe) Finally, it appeared, and was assumed by the Doctor for a time, that the Last Great Time War all but wiped out the race. They could live thousands of years before needing to regenerate.

T.A.R.D.I.S.--Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space. It's bigger on the inside. Thanks to a disruption of the chameleon circuit, our Doctor's TARDIS is always a blue police box. And it makes this distinctive sound...


Trenzalore--For the longest time the name Trenzalore would send delicious shivers of anticipation through me and my children. We discovered it was the Doctor's final resting place after a great battle in Name of the Doctor, but we had to wait for Time of the Doctor to discover how and why. And then I believe there was a bit of "rewriting time".

Here's a nice clip to explain why we were so interested in Trenzalore. Beware, their are spoilers here.


"Turn Left"--Episode #11 of the 4th series. This episode answers the question "what would have happened if Donna never met the Doctor?" I loved this episode because it focused on Donna and her strengths, as well as a guest appearance from Rose.

Torchwood (the Institute)--Torchwood was an organisation founded in 1879 to protect the British Empire from extraterrestrial threat, to capture the Doctor (whom Queen Victoria regarded as one such threat) and to secure alien technology for Britain. They were often at odds with the Doctor even though they meant well.

The coolest thing about Torchwood was Captain Jack took the reigns and they got their own spin off show called--Torchwood. The series has a different feel than Doctor Who but is still highly entertaining.
Season/Series 1

Have you ever seen Torchwood? And if so, did you like Miracle Day?
I admit I didn't think it was as good as some of the other series. 

6 comments:

  1. Torchwood was the first Men in Black then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved your a to Z blog and will pass it on. What fun to do this as a family! BTW-- David Tennant--the best T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All great T words. Turn Left is one of my favorite episodes. At the end, I always get shivers.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Torchwood was the working title for Doctor Who when they were remaking the series. So fans wouldn't know it was happening until they were ready for the fans to know. Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who.

    The stupid things I pick up someplace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that piece of trivia Liz. I'm a Dr Who from the original ... and I mean 'original' series, but I've never seen any of Torchwood. I was out of the country at the time.

      Delete
  5. My precious David...makes me want to say that like Gollum!

    As a Torchwood fan, I don't know what the Hades they thought they were doing with Miracle Day! Part of the appeal of watching a British show is the "Britishness" of it. Bringing it to America, using American writers and crew, and adding American actors kind of sucks the Brit right out of it. If I wasn't such a diehard Torchwood fan, I never would have made it through Miracle Day (and it wasn't until the DVD went on the clearance racks before I broke down and bought it).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...