Saturday, April 26, 2014

Doctor Who--W is for Weeping Angles


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #149.

Weeping Angels--First seen in the episode "Blink", which was brilliant. I've always thought statues a bit creepy and this only confirmed that fact. These creatures actually hid their eyes in order not to petrify each other by looking into each other's eyes. They are motionless when seen, but when you blink they move in for the "kill". If touched by an Angel,  a person is usually sent back in time where they can live out their lives. Might not sound so bad until you realize why the Angel didn't actually kill you. They live off your time energy.

In the episode The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone Amy looked too long at an Angel and it was imprinted on her eye, thus slowly turning her into an angel.

My husband really wants to buy a life sized angel statue just to freak our kids out.

This clip has Spoilers!


(The Doctor,) the Widow and the Wardrobe--This was the 2011 Christmas special with Matt Smith. I've watched it many times and still cry. (For those visiting for the first time, I am a professed cry baby.) Madge is newly widowed, but she hasn't told her children yet because its Christmas. She wants them to be happy just a little longer. The Doctor comes to spread some joy with an adventure, which of course doesn't turn out as he planned.

This one made me cry.


Do you find statues creepy?

8 comments:

  1. I'm quite partial to the messed up Supernatural angels, actually. :)

    I really need to catch up on Dr. Who ... someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to freak out the kids - that made me chuckle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blink is the episode I recommend to people wanting to start watching Doctor Who. The Weeping Angels have given me many nightmares too.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  4. Statues only give me the creeps when they're in graveyards. I saw the Tutankhamun Treasures when they were on display in Germany in the 70's and that takes away any fear of statues and suchlike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find statues creepy now. Before Blink, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Weeping angles were the creepiest thing in all of Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blink is my all-time favorite Who episode and it was carried almost entirely without the Doctor! I do agree, they are definitely the creepiest of all Whovian villains. One of our favorite picture taking experiences at Disney World is to impersonate the angels in front of the phone boxes in the UK Pavilion at Epcot and then I photoshop them blue. Everytime we do it, someone close by knows what we're doing and laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have actually looked for weeping angel statues...couldn't find any. We were going to put it in our front yard and move it just a tiny bit closer to the house everyday :) Boo!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...