Monday, April 28, 2014

Doctor Who--X is for X-tra!


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #149.

I asked my seven year old son what he thought of when he thought of Doctor Who. Here is his list in the order he gave them:

David Tennant, TARDIS, Rose, Daleks.

I've already covered all of those, but I thought you'd like to see what's important to a 7 year old boy. For this post I'm going to talk about a few other characters or episodes that I didn't talk about earlier.

Astrid Peth--She was a waitress on the Titanic in Voyage of the Dead. She signed up to see other planets but sadly had not been able to do so because of her job. The Doctor decides to take her on a little excursion to earth. Shortly after they learn that the star ship Titanic is just as doomed as it's namesake and they have to save the day.


Wilfred Mott--Oh how I love Wilfred! He's Donna Nobles maternal grandfather. He's in several episodes and even though he witnessed many Christmas invasions, he chose to believe that one day humans would peaceably reach out to the stars and interact with alien races. For his clip I wanted to share the day Donna lost her memory, but I couldn't find one. Instead I'll have to share the last time he saw the Doctor.


The Girl in the Fireplace--Series 2, Episode 4. I recently re-watched this one and it was so sad! I believe the Doctor really made a connection with Reinette. Whether it was just the romantic notion of her needing him, the fact she looked into his mind and saw how lonely he was or something else, he appeared so sad at the end.

My kids favorite line is about a horse he finds on the spaceship. When Rose sees it she says, "You're not keeping the horse." And the Doctor replies, "I let you keep Mickey."


We're getting close to the end, what character, species or episode did you love that I've forgotten?

10 comments:

  1. You'd think people would learn not to use the name Titanic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Girl In The Fireplace is a bittersweet episode for me. David was engaged to Sophia Myles (Reinette) at the time (hence their strong chemistry) and they broke up not long afterwards. I loved them as a couple, and it's hard to watch that episode knowing their history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there. I'm not so keen on this newer version of Dr Who. I prefer the original (I'm probably going back some years ;-) ) with Tom Baker as the Doctor. Thanks for sharing all the same. Enjoy the rest of the challenge!
    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite episode is the 50th anniversary Day of the Doctor.
    I am a Tom Baker fan, but loved Matt Smith, it seemed he grew better as the Doctor the more he did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wilfred is one of my favorite companions. He is so darn adorable at times. The Girl in the Fireplace always gets me at the end. I always tear up.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you got them all. Well, maybe not Clara. Did you discuss Clara and I forgot?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They have great, great extras in Doctor Who. I love The Girl in the Fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I found a Whovian site on here via Haneen Adam! :-) I had searched and found a Trek one earlier in the AtoZ blogging season. Good stuff, Charity. Love Wilfred Mott too - the episode when the Doc saves him from dying and the Gallifreyans show up led by Timothy Dalton is beautiful. [You can see I'm only a some-time watcher from my descriptions, but I do love the show when I devote myself to a story arc.]

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I was being honest, I think I was most impressed recently when all the Doctors got together. John Hurt had a starring role although, unless I'm mistaken, his appearance as an ex-Doctor for those two episodes was his only time in the role.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also really love Girl in the Fireplace. And you're right, he really did make a connection with her. I love when he's trying to look into her mind and she turns it right around on him...and he says, "since when do you call me Doctor?"...or something like that. Doctor Who is so great on so many levels...it says a lot about the writing, and acting, that the Doctor makes real connections with all these extra characters. We love them too, and then we have to say goodbye :(
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...