Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Writing Process Bloghop and Doctor Who--M is for Midnight

Scroll down for my A to Z post. 

A few weeks ago Jadie Jones tagged me in a "My Writing Process Bloghop". It worked out nicely that my day to post fell on M day. My official Doctor Who M post is right below the answers to the questions she gave me to answer. 

1. What am I working on?
I'm currently working on first round revisions of The Search For Knowledge, the sequel to THE MAGIC WAKES (WiDo Publishing, 2013). Every time I settle into it something else pops up and I get distracted, but I really want to get lost in Talia's world again. I need to finish revisions so I can start writing the next book in my list of ideas. :) So many ideas, so little time!

2. How does my work differ from others of its genre?
The hardest part about Talia's story is it doesn't really fit into science fiction or fantasy. Why? Because it contains elements of both without sitting solidly in either. Even calling it science fantasy doesn't quite fit thanks to the heavy dose of romance. Other than that, I'd like to think the main difference is because I wrote them. 

3. Why do I write what I do?
Because I go crazy if I don't write. Sometimes I can disappear into other people's worlds and be quite happy, but eventually that crazy drive to create something of my own possesses me again. Why do I write what I do specifically? Because I love science fiction. And most of my ideas come from freaky scifi/end of the world type dreams. 

4. How does my writing process work?
Sporadically! No, seriously I just came off a crazy writing binge that lasted 3 months. I finished two drafts during that time and completely revised one of them. During the times I'm not writing I'm mulling ideas over in my head. As the ideas start to solidify I start making notes. 

I'm not really an out-liner, but as the idea becomes more real my notes get more detailed. Sometimes I sketch out scenes. In the last few years I've learned to have an ending in mind before I start writing. A couple of times I've even started with the end and worked my way backwards. Once I have a general idea of the "main" events I start writing. I love discovering the story and characters as I go. 
_____
I'm supposed to tag three people, but I'd love for anyone who wants to answer these questions to take them and post the answers on their blog. If you do, let me know so I can come learn about your writing process. 


Welcome to the A to Z blogging challenge! My theme is Doctor Who because its the topic my kids voted we do together. We're sticking with people, places, creatures, and episodes from the newer series starting with Christopher Eccleston's (#9) simply because we haven't watched all the Classics...yet.

You can find the list of other participants HERE. I'm #149.

Midnight (TV show/planet)--Synopsis from TARDIS Wiki "The Tenth Doctor and Donna Noble go to the leisure planet of Midnight for a simple, relaxing vacation. However, life with the Doctor can never be that simple, and things go horribly wrong for the Doctor when he decides to go off on a bus trip to see the Sapphire Waterfall, starting with the bus shutting down. When a mysterious entity infiltrates the shuttle bus, no one is to be trusted. Not even the Doctor himself."

Check out the "kid" in the background of this clip. Yep, it's Colin Morgan from Merlin.



 Mickey Smith--Mickey was originally Rose Tyler's boyfriend who reluctantly ends up traveling with the Doctor for a while. When he realizes that Rose is head over heels for the Doctor, he opts to stay behind in an alternate universe where he can take care of his grandma. When she dies he returns to "his" version of earth. Somewhere along the way, I totally missed that he ends up married to Martha Jones.

I have to say, I really liked Mickey. Liked him more than Martha in fact.


Martha Jones--I think Freema Agyeman is beautiful, but her character Martha  was my least favorite companion. She traveled with Doctor number Ten (Tennant--see how easy that is to remember?) and also developed feelings for him. Maybe this is why I didn't care for her? Following so closely after Rose I just wasn't ready for someone else falling over over him.

In the end, Martha realized the Doctor would never see her the way he saw Rose and opts to leave. She joins UNIT and evidently falls in love with Mickey some time later.

Does anyone know how those two fell in love and when they got married? What episode gave it away?

10 comments:

  1. As for genre, what is magic but science we don't understand?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading about your writing process. I think everyone can learn and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any companion after Rose was doomed, especially the way they ended her run (although thankfully they did rectify it a year or so later).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha was one of my lease favorite companions due to her being love struck with the Doctor. On the flip side, Jones and Smith is one of my favorite episodes.

    ~Patricia Lynne~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, YA Author

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha makes some really great appearances on Torchwood later. I really liked how incredibly smart she was, yet vulnerable to The Doctor's charms. I thought she was better matched with Thomas--her first fiance who got killed. Mickey seems kind of, um, downmarket for her?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping up with the doctor gets tough. Colin is in it? Awesome, he rocked Merlin. I'm not an outliner either but at the end of the day it is the effort and results that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great spirit to keep up with the daily challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think they ever told us more of Martha and Mickey other than the passing comment that they had gotten together. I might be missing something, but I don't think I am.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No idea when Mikey and Martha got together, but I am glad they did. They would have an understanding that any other spouse wouldn't.

    --
    Timothy S. Brannan
    The Other Side, April Blog Challenge: The A to Z of Witches

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, Mickey! I miss Mickey! And your project and writing process sounds very interesting too :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...