Monday, June 9, 2014

Character Interview from HIGH STAKES by Brandy Schillance

Today we have an interview with Jacob from Brandy Schillace's novel High Stakes. Information about Brandy and her book are below.

What is your name? Do you have a nickname?
Jacob Maresbeth. Jake for short. I'm only called Jacob when I'm in trouble--usually followed by my middle name (Alexander).

Where do you go when angry?
You know the big bad wolf? My what big teeth you have? It's sort of like that. Not on purpose or anything! Oh yeah. And I can hear heartbeats when I'm mad, too. Which even creeps *me* out.

What is your favorite song?
I love the Frames. Like Fall Out Boy and Jonas Bros, too. But my favorite song is probably "The World is a Vampire." Yeah, I know. Predictable.

Do you have a secret?
Dude. My whole life is a secret. I mean, it's not like I go broadcasting the blood-drinking thing. Would you? That is not the way to win friends and influence people. What's worse is that my dad's been keeping some of my, erm, "symptoms" secret too, and he's a doctor. Meaning he has to lie for me. That's not even close to okay, but what else can you do? Don't want to be someone's lab rat, for sure!

Have you ever had a broken heart?
If you count Susie Johnson in second grade, then yeah. Otherwise, not really. I'm still working on getting a date. Actually, I'd settle for an afternoon in my aunt's study staring at Zsofia (blond goddess, has to be, though she works for my aunt). She can break my heart anytime.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Well, I probably shouldn't say since it doesn't happen until book 2, but I end up as lead columnist of the school paper. Which is pretty freaking awesome.

What is your greatest fear?
Got three of 'em. Being staked, being burned at the stake, and being turned into a hospital lab rat. That's a lot to be going on with, I realize. But watch a few movies--my team doesn't usually win.

What do you desire more than anything else?
A date so I don't have to go stag to homecoming would be nice. Not having to constantly worry about whether the hospital will shut off my blood supply would be even better.

Now a few questions for the author-- 

Would your character like to hang out with you?
Probably, but only because he's a good kid who tries to be nice to "old" people (you know, those of us in our 30s).

If your novel were turned into a movie who would play your characters?
For Jake? Hard to say. Perhaps Richard Madden or Eugene Simon? For Lizzy, probably Elle Fanning.

HIGH STAKES

“I’m not a vampire,” insists Jacob Maresbeth, teenage journalist for the school paper. But what is a vampire, really? What happens if you have all the right symptoms, but are a living, breathing sixteen-year-old boy?

Diagnosed with a rare disease, Jake can’t help but wonder. After eight years in and out of the Newport News hospital, he’s had it up to here with doctors, diseases and dishonesty. After all, Jake’s father, respected neurologist Franklyn Maresbeth, has been hiding some of his more unusual symptoms for years… particularly that part about drinking blood.

In High Stakes, Jake records his summer vacation in the home of his maiden aunt, the bangled and be-spectacled Professor Sylvia. If that isn’t bad enough (and it is), Jake and his theatre-loving sister Lizzy must keep the “unofficial” details of Jake’s disorder a secret from Aunt Sylvia’s seductively beautiful graduate student, Zsofia. Will Jake survive a whole month pretending to be an invalid? Will Zsofia weaken his resolve with her flirtatiously dangerous Hungarian accent? Will Jake lose his heart–in more ways than one?

About the Author
Author, historian, and adventurer at the intersections, Brandy Schillace spends her time in the mist-shrouded alleyways between literature and medicine.

Brandy grew up in an underground house in abandoned coal mining territory near a cemetery. It does things to you (like convince you to get a PhD). It also encourages a particular brand of fictive output. HIGH STAKES, Book 1 of The Jacob Maresbeth Chronicles, came out in 2014 with Cooperative Trade Press.

Brandy is managing editor of Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry and Research Associate for the Dittrick Museum of Medical History. She is also editor of the Fiction Reboot | Daily Dose blogs. When she isn’t researching arsenic poisoning for the Museum, writing fiction, taking over the world, or herding cats, she teaches for Case Western Reserve University.

Connect with Brandy:
Book Trailer
Website
Goodreads page
Amazon Author Page
Amazon--HIGH STAKES
Twitter: @bschillace
Facebook

5 comments:

  1. Blood-drinking probably doesn't win a lot of friends. And he's an Alex - awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fascinating. A different take on the vampire story (that's a good thing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what to make of this kid. Sounds normal. Wants friends and a date, but as Alex points out, drinking blood might be a turn-off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about stories that take a different spin on the whole vampire thing. This sounds like it would be such an adventure to read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting story. Adding it to my wish list to buy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...