Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Author Interview with T. H. Morris

Bio: 
T.H. Morris is a lifelong writer who was born in 1984 and raised in Colerain, North Carolina. He has been living in Greensboro, North Carolina for the past twelve years. He is an avid reader, primarily in the genre of science fiction and fantasy because he enjoys creating people, situations, and worlds. He holds hold a Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Social Work from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and spent several years as a therapist and mental health clinician. He has been writing in some way, shape, or form ever since he was strong enough to hold a pen or pencil, but the expectation of securing and maintaining a traditional 40 hour job was the expectation of all around him. The call of writing never diminished, though, and soon became too powerful to ignore. Morris began work on The 11th Percent in 2011, and published the novel on Halloween of 2014. Its sequel, Item and Time, will be released May 29, 2015. He still resides in Greensboro, with his wife of six years.

Books:
THE 11th PERCENT, released 10/31/14
ITEM AND TIME, out 5/29/15

Links:
Website
Facebook
Amazon Author Page
Goodreads Author Page

Blurb for The 11th Percent
Jonah Rowe, a bored accountant and aspiring novelist, is sick and tired of his job as an accountant. He is burnt out from all the office gossip, politics, and double talk, and he longs for his life to matter. Truth be told, Jonah wants anything besides the lame routine of coasting through his workday....only to psych himself up enough to do it all over again the next day. He only wishes that his life had some meaning.

Amidst the combination of writer's block and society's expectations to have a "real" 9-5 job, Jonah gets his wish.

His world is turned completely upside down one evening when his vision inexplicably turns blue for several moments. He then receives a warning from a spectral visitor that not only is he in danger, but everything in his life is about to change.

Overnight, Jonah transforms from an overworked, underpaid accountant to the centerpiece of a spectral battle. Will he rise to the occasion? Can he accept that everything he knows about life and death is completely wrong? And, most importantly, will he be able to comprehend and harness the power of the mysterious 11th Percent?

Follow Jonah's journey in this new breed of ghost story!

Questions

What do you do when you’re not writing? If I’m not writing, I’m usually spending time with my wife, gaming, reading, exercising, or walking in our favorite arboretum (never for exercise purposes but simply for the serenity.)

What is your favorite genre to write about? Anything paranormal or science fiction. I just love the aspect of suspending my disbelief or reality. It’s just fun to incorporate the fantasy worlds into my imagination and create mental images to go along with what I’m reading.

Is being a writer a curse or a gift? I would have to say 100% GIFT. I won’t be ivory tower and say it’s always easy, but being a creator through the expression of writing has always benefitted me because it is such a release. There can be stressors and strife, so I can jump into my worlds and write and create, which always brings me joy and peace. And writing, in my experience, isn’t all that stressful. If I hit a snag in one creation, I can move to another one and create in that avenue for a time. It always allows me to return to my previous creation with a fresher perspective.

What genre do you consider your book(s)? I consider them Southern Paranormal Fiction.
How did you come up with the title? It was actually a quick process. Initially, the name of the book was Ghostly, but when I tried to wrap my mind around it, it didn’t really mesh with the theme and world I was building. Ghostly just seemed to be vague; a box I was trying to fit my world into. So upon further thought, I realized that my theme entailed just a little extra. That’s what I’ll say without spoiling anything. So bearing that in mind, I decided on The 11th Percent.

Additional

The 11th Percent is a paranormal novel set in the fictional town of Rome, North Carolina and centers on everyman Jonah Rowe. Jonah is a discontented corporate employee who simply wants his life to be more than the boring, aimless existence he has been experiencing. His wish came……in the form of discovering he is the focal point in an ongoing spiritual conflict.

The 11th Percent is full of wild, paranormal phenomena and unbelievable events, yet there is a healthy realism and relatable factor to the stories and characters. In fact, it is where the line between realism and fantasy gets blurred that Jonah realizes his strengths and self-worth, as well as begins to understand the keys to his survival.

The 11th Percent is Book 1 in a series of seven. Its sequel, Item and Time, will be released May 29, 2015.

Key Selling Points to The 11th Percent


DEMOGRAPHIC AND RANGE- Is it just me, or are a lot of paranormal fiction books centered on teeny-bopper kids? If the Twilights and Vampire Academies exasperate you, then my main character, Jonah Rowe, is just for you. I deliberately aged him beyond adolescence! People tend to forget that we’re still growing even after we’ve “come of age.” Fantastic and unconventional things can still happen to people, even after they’ve reached adulthood—something I’ve illustrated throughout my story.

SETTING- Rome, North Carolina is an amalgamation of the types of towns I’ve known all my life—small, quaint, and quiet. The sweet tea flows like water, butter and biscuits are not only a requirement, but a staple, and family is at the center of it all. Plus, everyone knows everybody’s business. But in the small town of Rome, some secrets have been very well-kept.

THE MYSTERIOUSNESS- There are many people in this world who are different, individualistic, peculiar, off-beat, or simply don’t fit the molds that have been put in place in this world. And I have always believed that nothing is wrong with that. Everyone is different, but despite our variations and circumstances, we are all still people with talents and attributes to contribute to the world. I hope to illustrate this fact with my words in these books.

The HUMANITY- The characters in my story are remarkable and supernatural humans, but they are still human. They still have to contend with all the everyday things all people have to, in addition to these realities brought about by their abilities. My story merges the ordinary realities of everyday stressors and strife with the extraordinary dynamic of paranormal phenomena.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a cool book. And for a moment, I was trying to think of where Rome, North Carolina was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I know! I move away from NC and start meeting other authors from there. ??!

      Delete
    2. Rome is a fictional N.C. town! It's an amalgamation of my hometown, along with the tiny towns that surrounded it. :-)

      Delete
  2. Southern Paranormal Fiction. I love it. It sounds like something I might enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, if you're interested, I can send the purchase link! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...