Thursday, April 2, 2015

80s Movies B is for Back to the Future and Bill & Ted



Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)
I have to laugh because yesterday I had two James Cameron movies and today I have two time travel movies. Totally unplanned, I promise!

After refreshing your memory, please share your favorite quotes from the movies if you have any!

The Beastmaster (1982)

(Available for DVD rental from Netflix)

Can we talk about the trailer for a moment? It's been years since I watched the film, but this trailer had me in tears of laughter.

"The power that made him more than any hero, more than any lover..."
"Conquer your fears, and discover the link between man, animal, and all that is fantasmigorical. In the world of dungeons, dragons and Dar."

Fantasmigorical?! Really?!

This fantasy was another one that my brother and I watched several times. It starts with a creepy woman/witch hovering over the king and queen and using magic to move their unborn child from the mother to a cow. She brands the baby and then is supposed to kill it. Dar (the baby) is saved by a stranger and raised as his own. He can speak to animals and see through their eyes. Plus everyone runs around half naked. What more could you want from a fantasy "back into unexplored times."


Back to the Future (1985)


What do you say about this classic? I was 11 and in love with Marty McFly. This was also when I became fascinated with time travel. I never wanted to meet my parents, but there were so many other places I wanted to visit.


Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)


This movie was a staple for me and my brother back in the day. This one is available to watch on Netflix, in case you were wondering.

I sat down to watch it again in February. Ten minutes in and all I could think was, "I have to make my kids watch this!" We did and lots of laughter ensued. I hate to admit it, but this movie made me think all teenagers from California were idiots. Maybe they were just stoned the whole time? This movie is full of 80s music at it's best.

Doctor Who connection--they travel through time (in a vortex) in a phone booth. Coincidence? I think not.

This movie is one of those that you could quote the whole movie, but let me get you started.

Quotables:
"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

"Those must be the princesses you told yourself about...this is a history report, not a babe report."
"Those are historical babes."

"Bogus. Heinous. Most untriumphant. Ah, Ted. Don't be dead dude."

"Be excellent to each other. Party on dudes!"


Where would you go if you could go anywhere in time?


Bonus From FADE INTO ME

Balloon Ride--Caedan is all about over the top measures to impress Ryanne. One of those attempts involved a balloon ride in Scotland. Now, I've been told this is practically impossible in real life thanks to the weather. However, Caedan can tweak the weather and bend it to his will. He's used to getting what he wants and a little weather is not going to stand in his way.

The balloon has the celtic tree of life knot--which symbolizes harmony and balance--on it.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that trailer for Beastmaster was awful and cheesy beyond cheesy.
    Could recite most of Bill and Ted because yes, it was a staple in our house. Catch ya later, Bill and Ted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen Beastmaster, but Back to the Future and Bill and Ted are two favourites. The 80s made some great films!

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love BACK TO THE FUTURE! Never seen Beastmaster or Bill & Ted though. Your post makes me want to go on Netflix and check their 80s collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Back to the Future! Oh, that's such a classic. I want to watch it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby and I watched Bill and Ted the other day. It was lots of fun. Sometimes when you rewatch the old stuff, you wonder how you ever enjoyed it. This, still good.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should send you the photo of my brother's DeLorean birthday cake (party was Saturday)...

    No, that's not how all teens in CA were in 1989. Having been a teen in CA in 1989, I can attest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I know that now, but man alive they sure left an impression on me when I was young.

      Delete
  7. The Circle K quote still makes me laugh.
    I remember seeing Back to the Future when it came out with my parents and my sister and we all loved it. Such a fun movie that never gets old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of that quote any time I ever see a Circle K. :)

      Delete
  8. Back to the Future is one of my favorites! I saw it in the movies as a kid as well. I was so smitten with Michael J. Fox as a kid, that I had a pin with his cute face on it LOL My early fangirl days :)
    Excellent Doctor Who tie in, btw.
    TheCyborgMom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Back to the future did get me hooked on time travel too, although to say the truth, didn't see the movie but the cartoon and till today I adore it :) well! at least Doctor Who is still hovering around. On D-day check my blog hehehe.
    "Haneen/I Will Never Give you Up (479)"

    ReplyDelete
  10. TheCyborgMom and Haneen, I do what I can to keep the Doctor in the mix.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...