Saturday, April 4, 2015

80s Movies D is for Dark Crystal and Dune


Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)
After refreshing your memory, please share your favorite quotes from the movies if you have any!

Dark Crystal (1982)


This movie really wraps up my personality. Weird, and very deep at the same time. I don't even know where to start with this one, but Jim Henson and Frank Oz really says it all.

This movie has creepy evil guys, ancient good guys, the last two Gelfling in existence (luckily there's a boy and a girl!), fuzzy muppets to make you smile, life draining machines, prophecies, a deadline looming that will change the world, oh, and the girl has wings much to the surprise of the boy Gelfling. Death and life.

You can re-watch this one on Netflix.

Some quotes to get you started:

"Hold her to you, for she is part of you, as we all are a part of each other."
"End, begin, all the same. Big change. Sometimes good. Sometimes bad."
"When single shines the triple sun; what was sundered and undone; shall be whole, the two made one; by Gelfling hand or else by none."

Dune (1984)



Sadly, I never read the series, but I did see the movie way back in the day. I remember enjoying it and liked the twist that a man had to become something more like the women in order to save the day. Was it something about being able to control others with his voice? Who can forget his creepy (and totally cool because she scared the pants off me) little sister?

I really want to watch this one again. It's been years and the little clips here and there on youtube only made me want to watch the whole thing. This one is not on Netflix.

The only quote I remembered even before watching the trailer?

"The sleeper must awaken."

Have you seen these two movies? What do you remember?

15 comments:

  1. I tried reading the Dune series. Didn't enjoy them. Although I thought the whispering was dumb, I enjoyed the movie otherwise. It had Patrick Stewart in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Anything with Patrick Stewart in it is worth a watch just for him.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe I have never watched Dune, must remedy that. Oh, and someone said Patrick Stewart was in it? Even better.
    Love your blog, happy D day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've seen Dark Crystal, or maybe it's just I had the movie book and read it a billion times. Either way, I'm familiar with it, but I can't remember a single thing from it because I had to have been like 4 when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you should watch it again. I got so many different things out of it as an adult.

      Delete
  4. But these two movies look so good :0 Okay Charity I give up I'm never going to find a movie on your list that I have actually watched :(
    "Haneen/I Will Never Give you Up (479)"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up! I'm pretty sure you've seen one of the movies on "P" day. :)

      Delete
  5. I saw Dark Crystal a looooooong time ago! Haven't seen Dune though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have Dark Crystal in VHS. lol It is a weird movie. I've never seen Dune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Dark Crystal, that takes me back. I only remember a few things, like only girl Gelfins can fly. Is that right? The rest is a bit of a blur so I'll have to look it up! Don't you just love a trip down memory lane?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Cortney, @Chrys and @Fran yay for the Dark Crystal watchers! And yes Fran, only girl Gelflings can fly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Dark Crystal, and Dune. 'Fear is the Mindkiller.'

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen either. Must remedy that situation...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the dark crystal. It was one of my stepsister's favorites and definitely a very weird movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...