Monday, April 6, 2015

80s Movies E is for E.T. and Enemy Mine


Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)
After refreshing your memory, please share your favorite quotes from the movies if you have any!

E.T (1982)


This movie actually terrified my kids when they were little. Not sure why, but they will still run screaming from the room if I threaten to put it on. I loved it as a kid. In fact, when I became a reader I read the book by William Kotzwinkle. It's another example where you can get so much more out of the written word than a movie. Seriously, check it out!

Enemy Mine (1985)


This one is available on DVD from Netflix (which I don't do). It's also on YouTube.

The nice thing about this movie is Dennis Quaid's character crash lands within the first 5 minutes of the film. None of this 20 minutes of character introduction before getting to the action. That all comes AFTER the crash landing. It's nice that the planet he's stranded on is so different from earth. Completely inhospitable, it lends itself well to moving two races from hate to depending on each other for survival.

Earth Star Voyager (1988)

Earth Star Voyager was supposed to become a series but for some reason Disney let it die after the 4 hour pilot. Back in the day I LOVED everything about this movie. I watched and waited hoping to buy it on VHS. That never happened. Even now you can't buy it, but thanks to YouTube you can watch it.

I watched it this past Feb for the first time in 15 years. The script and acting doesn't hold up to today's standards, there are plot holes, cheesy lines, and the need to take some pretty big leaps with your suspension of disbelief. All things considered though, I can see why the 14 year old me loved it. I mean, a ship full of people not much older than me traveling through space? Yeah, sign me up!

Question:
Did you see Earth Star Voyager when it was released? What did you think?

Bonus from FADE INTO ME:

Etdeur--Head of the Abhithian High Council, with eyes of fire.
Fire Eye property of yvaine2010 on DeviantArt
There are a couple of times he speaks with Caedan and Ryanne through the Oracles. Although he's a minor character, I liked that he has a subtle sense of humor. He can see the strength in Ryanne and knows from the beginning she's not going to make things easy for Caedan. Although he never says it, I believe he gets great satisfaction out of that fact.

12 comments:

  1. I didn't see Earth Star Voyager.
    From ET - 'You have absolute power!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. ET is such a classic, though my kids hate it! I will have to watch the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved E.T. It's a great 80's movie and makes me feel good every time I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ET used to scare me when I was little. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never seen the end of ET. I can remember the day we watched it too. It was October and it began snowing, and the movie booooooooored the crap out of me, so I went outside and made a snowman. My mom still have pictures of the snowman too.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are on my list to check if you are being part of the A to Z Challenge.

    THANK YOU for being up to the letter "E"... I love Enemy Mine!!
    Jeremy [Retro]
    AtoZ Challenge Co-Host [2015]

    There's no earthly way of knowing.
    Which direction we are going!

    HOLLYWOOD NUTS!
    Come Visit: You know you want to know if me or Hollywood... is Nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, never saw Earth Star Voyager. Enemy Mine I caught on cable near the time when it was released. I saw it over and over. Brilliant film (from what I recall). E.T.... Another on the list of films I was dragged to as a kid. I did mention it was a long list, didn't I?

    My niece finished Fade Into Me. She told me it took her three days. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your niece enjoyed FADE! It's nice to hear that people are reading and liking the story. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I actually had the ET record and story book by Michael Jackson. I sold it on ebay when he died and made a little cash. I loved ET when I was a kid.
    I’m also doing the A to Z challenge, Organize Home Life on http://AMomsPointOfView.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I love ET! Unfortunately, it gave my dad such horrible nightmares that we couldn't watch it in the house. Funny thing, we could watch movies like Terminator, but ET? Heck no!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I did a horrible job commenting yesterday! Thank you all for stopping by and sharing the fun.

    @Rena, I think it's funny it gave your dad nightmares. Wonder what it is that freaks some people out? ET looks so harmless to me.

    For those of you who thought ET was scary, what was it that made it that way for you? Cause I'm with @Michael, it's a feel good movie to me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...