Tuesday, April 7, 2015

80s Movies F is for Flight of the Navigator



Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)
After refreshing your memory, please share your favorite quotes from the movies if you have any!

Flight of the Navigator (1986)


Here's another from the Disney Sunday night movie? Or was it Saturday? Who knows. Anyway, we had this one on VHS for a while back in the day. You can get it on Netflix DVD.

A boy disappears for eight years and when he comes back he hasn't aged a day. He makes his way to where an alien spaceship is being stored. The adventure that follows is right on par for Disney films of the time. The mechanical ship downloads information from the kid's head and gets a personality to go with it. At times it sounds like Pee Wee Herman. They have to keep out of the government's clutches while also finding a way to take the boy back home to his original time.

The Fifth Element (1997)


I know, I know. This one's not from the 80s, not even close, but I couldn't find two movies from the 80s for F. And this is one of my favorites. I mean come on. There are so many great things going on. The setting, costumes, everything is wonderful. Bruce Willis is in his prime and kicking it. Personally, I think my favorite scene is when he's watching the Diva perform and Leelo is shredding a whole gang of aliens. The music in that scene is great and I love strong female leads that kick butt. That scene reminds me of River in Serenity. *sigh* Good Stuff.

Here's the weird thing. I just realized this came out the year I had my first child.

Have you seen either of these movies? Know of another spec fic movie from the 80s that starts with F? 


Bonus from FADE INTO ME

Are you looking for a modern day fairy tale?
One filled with heartache, redemption, love and magic?

You can now buy FADE INTO ME in print and for Kindle. 



Blurb:
Caeden Frey doesn’t believe humans will evolve to see the magic, much less control it. Even so, he has two months to marry a human or face the wrath of the High Council. Bitter about a responsibility he thinks prevents him marrying for love, he figures any human girl will do. He’s ready to propose when his soul mate stumbles into—and right out of—his arms.

Human, Ryanne Killian might be Caedan’s one shot at happiness while still fulfilling his duty. Unfortunately, she guards a dark secret. She’s determined to push Caedan away to protect him from her past.

Caedan must convince her she’s worthy of his love before a rival family puts an end to his wedding plans. If she can see her own worth, she just might save herself and his people.



Links:
Buy it on Amazon
Read the first 2 chapters
Website
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest Idea Board for Fade Into Me

7 comments:

  1. I don't remember Flight of the Navigator very well, although I know I saw it on video. I have seen the Fifth Element many times and I have to go with the best line - 'She knows it's a multi-pass!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifth Element is just an awesome movie all the way around. :)

      Delete
  2. I adored Flight of the Navigator when little and watched it a lot of times. A childhood classic for me.

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could watch it again. My kids would probably really like it.

      Delete
  3. I could have sworn I saw Flight of the Navigator in a theater. I could be wrong, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally!!! I saw those two Muhahahaha! So I saw flight of the Navigator only once as a child and I still think it's amazing, I related so much to it and frankly it's one of those movies that shaped my writing ideas for today so Big Deal, now I know its name to re-watch it if I want thanks to you :) as for TFE let's just say too C.R.A.S.Y for my taste :|
    "Haneen/I Will Never Give you Up (302)"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally loved flight of the navigator when I was a kid.


    When I saw Fifth Element I just about died. I LOVED that movie. Fantastic. good picks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...