Wednesday, April 15, 2015

80s Movies M is for the Man With Two Brains



Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)
After refreshing your memory, please share your favorite quotes from the movies if you have any!

Man with Two Brains (1983)


Um, I don't remember this being rated R way back when, then again my dad brought home all kinds of things I probably shouldn't have watched at age 9 (wait for T day). I remember it being typical Steve Martin crazy! Haven't seen it again since my childhood though.

Here's a quote from ImDb--
"Ladies and gentlemen, I can envision a day when the brains of brilliant men can be kept alive in the bodies of dumb people."


My Stepmother is an Alien (1988)

Wow, I don't remember this one being so full of inuendo as the trailer implies. Of course I didn't get half of that stuff when I watched it as a kid. I just thought it was about an alien trying to save her planet, falling in love in the process and ruining her stepdaughter's life. What did I know?

Bonus from FADE INTO ME


Magic
The magic in FIM is a very natural, earthy kind of magic. The idea behind this system is that the earth itself is full of magic. It manifests in swirls of color that roam freely everywhere. Humans refuse to see it. Abhithians not only see, but they learn how to manipulate the swirls of color and magic to keep the balance. And as Caedan so carelessly says at one point when making a flower grow--"to get what we want."

There's a second kind of magic in FIM. It's the magic of the Anamchara or soulmate. It can't be controlled, but there are ways to "lessen" the pull. This magic only manifests itself when your soulmate is near. It's like playing with magnets. Couples are drawn to each other physically, but it doesn't mean you'll make an emotional connection.

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of either of these movies before, but I do like the premise of "The Man with Two Brains".

    My post for the A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen both of them but I don't really remember them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen either of those movies. Now, when I watch an old movie, I always laugh at the things I didn't get when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the Man With Two Brains. It's been years since I have seen it, but I STILL can't hear "Duke of Earl" and not laugh.

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remember Willow (Alyson Hannigan) was in My Stepmother Is An Alien. Or am I misremembering?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...