Saturday, April 18, 2015

80s Movies P is for The Princess Bride


Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)

Poltergeist (1982) Available on Netflix DVD


Okay this movie messed me up as a kid! Seriously, I didn't have any blonde friends for a long time and I didn't want to live in the suburbs EVER. I can't tell you anything specific about the movie now, but as a kid paranormal was not cool. Maybe this is why I have a hard time taking paranormal novels seriously now. They're too "nice."


Predator (1987)


Ah, the decade of Schwarzenegger. I mean come on, the guy has "war" in his name. This was one my dad brought home.


Princess Bride (1987) Available on Netflix DVD (but seriously, you don't own it??)


Now here's a classic! The trailer sums it up pretty well. Lots of great quotables, a slightly off the wall sense of humor, something for everyone in the family to enjoy. Seriously, you can't go wrong with this one. My kids have even watched it 100s of times. One daughter actually claimed the DVD and we have to get it from her room to watch it ourselves.

My favorite quote is hard to pin down since I could quote the whole thing. But when hard pressed to pick, I think it would be one from Mad Max's house.

"I'm not a witch, I'm your wife! But after what you just said I don't know if I want to be that anymore."


Have you seen these? Which is your favorite style-- freaky paranormal, all out war or quirky sweet?

Bonus from FADE INTO ME


Portal--The best way to describe the portals in the book is this...think of Stargate, shrink it to the size of a door and get rid of all the computer equipment. Combine that with transporter technology from Star Trek. Abhithians turn it on by touching the runes on the sides and then they link in with their minds to set the coordinates. When they step in, their bodies are reduced to pure matter and transported to another dimension where they re-materialize.

Abhithians understand how to keep their minds focused enough to re-establish the mind body connection at the end of the journey. Humans can make the journey safely unconscious, but they need assistance when they're awake. The portal recognizes the differences in brain patterns and will erase the short term memory of humans on the journey back to the human side in order to protect Ireas.

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, great movies- I do actually own Predator but I haven't watched it properly yet. It seems to be a movie that a lot of guys I've known have gone on and on about.

    I LOVE The Princess Bride - such a classic. And I was just saying on Alex's blog that it's a case where the movie wasn't more crap than the book. :)

    And yes, I also have Poltergeist on DVD. It's definitely still creepy, but looks so very dated now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent picks! I also chose Princess Bride. Have fun storming the castle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Princess Bride has been a popular choice today. I saw it a few weeks ago, and really want to watch it again now :-)

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that so many people are posting about 80s movies and memorabilia :) I think you're the 3rd post today, featuring Princess Bride--a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually went to junior high school with Heather O'Rourke's older sister. We had PE together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I saw Poltergeist when I was little and it scared the crap out of me. Haven't watched it again and probably won't. I am a wuss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have never heard of Princess Bride...I quote it constantly!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...