Thursday, April 23, 2015

80s Movies T is for Terminator



Welcome to April and the Blogging A to Z Challenge! Here's a quick refresher of my theme and the "rules" I set for myself.
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • A movie I watched when it came out (meaning when I was a kid)

Terminator (1984)


What a fascinating idea. Someone from the past comes back to assassinate someone and change the future. Since this movie, that idea has been done many different ways. I loved the whole causality looping part of this movie. If the terminator had not been sent back, Reece would not have been sent back to save her. Sarah would not have fallen in love with him--thus getting pregnant with the man the computer wanted to prevent from being born. Yeah, simplistically complicated. That's how I like my scifi.

Twilight Zone the Movie (1983)


I probably remember more of the series episodes than the actual movie, but man, some of these were really freaky. In my mind this was the original X-files kind of thing. The bizarre, the unexplained, the stuff of nightmares. Years later another series followed the same pattern--The Outer Limits. Those were creeptastic as well!

And because I can't let it go unmentioned...

Total Recall (1990)


I didn't see the remake, and I haven't seen the original in years. As a kid I didn't get all the psychological things going on. I just thought it was an action packed futuristic movie and loved it. I'd like to watch it again and concentrate on the deeper levels.

5 comments:

  1. The first Total Recall was fun - the remake took itself too serious.
    Terminator was just amazing. I've seen it so many times, I could quote all sorts of lines.
    That coffee's two hours old. I put a cigarette out in it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen this film. I should, shouldn't I?

    Annalisa, writing A-Z vignettes, at Wake Up, Eat, Write, Sleep

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Terminator is still a good movie. It holds up, but I still do chuckle at the hair, clothing and some of the effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total Recall and Terminator are classics. Terminator 2 was my favorite of that franchise. They still hold up today, if you can get past the 80's-quality of the cinematography. I could never get into the twilight zone. I was into Tales From The Darkside back then... and those were creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen Total Recall. Twilight Zone... Ah yes, it was required as my mother loved the TV show (still does, but she's seen all the eps).

    Terminator... It was my high school band's favorite movie my freshman year. The seniors loved it. One talked of how they redubbed the whole thing and turned it into a search for a yo-yo. (A Duncan yo-yo?) ("Where is my Duncan yo-yo?" said in Schwarzenegger's robotic voice.) Alas, I never did see this version.

    Every time we had free time in band, someone would pull out the TV (on a wheeled cart) and put on the movie. Every time we had a sub. Any time they could finagle it. I don't know if I've ever seen the movie straight through, but I've seen the whole thing in fits and starts and out of order.

    Don't ask what my senior class had as its go-to movie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...