Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April IWSG and 80's Movies A is for Alien and The Abyss


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Today is also the first day of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge. You know, the one where you blog every day in April (except for Sunday) starting with the letter A and working your way to Z? Well, my insecurities this month are huge, but I'm only going to talk about the ones that go along with the challenge for this month. The rest can wait until May.

I set a few "rules" for myself and this month's theme way back in January. Here they are:
  • Science Fiction and/or Fantasy movies from the 1980's
  • Must be a movie I've watched--preferably when it came out and I was a kid
When I made those rules I thought, "no problem! I can re-watch all these old movies on Netflix and get some great conversations started."

Netflix let me down! Out of the 52ish movies in my list, only 5 of them were available for streaming. Really Netflix? My husband just gained ground in his argument for canceling. Sadly that means this month's posts won't be as in depth as I had hoped. It will mostly be a "do you remember?" And some of them are barely that. So, I'm going to need your help to remember some of the movies that will be brought up this month.

The insecurities come in because my theme last year was awesome. I mean straight up tons of fun with great questions and discussion. I'm afraid this year is going to fall flat compared to my Doctor Who year. :(

There are a few exceptions to the 80s rule this month because I simply couldn't think of a movie for a letter from that decade. In those cases I went with the 70's or as early 90's as possible. This means many of my favorite movies are not in this month's list. Let's see if some of yours are.


Hope you enjoy anyway!

Aliens (1986)--


This is the only one of the Alien movies I actually watched growing up. All I remember is a lot of running around, crawling through halls and vents (which you can see in the trailer), shooting, death, I think there was an android that ends up as just a head? I can't remember if Ripley saved the little girl or not, but I vaguely remember a scene where she gets inside some kind of robotic suit and kicks some alien butt. (Or is that a different movie?)

LOL, I need to find someone who owns it and watch it again. In the meantime, anyone want to set me straight? I was only 12 when the movie came out. 


The Abyss (1989)--

I remember seeing this more than once, but once again it's been a long time. A team of oil riggers are hired to help the Navy recover a downed submarine, but nothing is ever as easy as down and back is it? One of the Navy guys gets sick from the air/pressure and goes crazy trying to kill everyone. There's also a really bad storm threatening to send them over the edge of the abyss the crew is sitting next to. In spite of some freaky stuff like liquid silver swimming around, our two main characters have time to discover they're still in love with each other. 

I remember feeling like this movie was really long with an anti-climatic ending, but it made me want to explore the sea floor.

Bonus from FADE INTO ME


Abhithian--Sentient humanoids descended from settlers who came from the planet Abhail. They can see and control the threads of magic on earth. Their goal is to achieve and keep the balance between creation and destruction. They look just like you and me, but they can live up to 800 years. They can also travel between the "human side" and Ireas by an inter-dimensional portal. 

26 comments:

  1. Good luck for your A-Z theme. I'm sure it will be awesome, best to look forward. I remember these movies, though not in any great detail I'm afraid!

    Best wishes
    Suzanne (IWSG co-host)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! If nothing else it should be a fun walk down memory lane for people, even if I have nothing intelligent to say about the movies. :)

      Delete
  2. I've seen both movies a million times and yes, Ripley does save Newt (the little girl) from the aliens. The two of them plus Michael Bien's character (Hicks), and what's left of Bishop (the android) all survive.

    The Abyss also had Michael Bien as the Navy dude who goes crazy with Ed Harris and Eliz. Mastriantonio as the estranged couple who fall back in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I didn't even connect that Michael Bien was in both of the movies.

      Delete
  3. Sorry NetFlix didn't have more available for streaming.
    I remember both movies well, as Cameron rocks as a director. And Aliens is my favorite movie. One heck of a roller coaster ride. Game over, man, game over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! I should ask everyone to comment with their favorite quotes.

      Delete
  4. Well, that means Netflix is out as far as I'm concerned! I always preferred my scifi on paper. Although I suppose the ideas others had for space influenced my visions of what I was reading.
    Nice idea and good luck!
    Jemima

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sad. I guess I could have paid for DVD service, but I'm spoiled and think it should all be streamable.

      Delete
  5. Adam and I watched one of the Aliens movies recently and there is definitely a lot of crawling through vents, etc. :)

    Good luck with your theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alien is done by Ridley Scott; Aliens is done by James Cameron. Similar in theme, the two movies (Aliens is a sequel) differ in that Alien is pure horror and Aliens is science-fiction/action combat. Alien scared the crap out of me. The creature design came from the mind of H.R. Giger, who essentially drew upon the fear of having something invade your body and came up with a xenomorph that had a very complex gestation/birth process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! I knew someone would know the difference and be able to set us straight. I'm still irritated that I couldn't watch all these movies again. It would have made this month a lot better. I didn't want to summarize other people's reviews either, so I think this month is going to fall short of what I wanted. :(

      Delete
  7. Never saw Aliens. Never wanted to. Creature feature. Ick. The Abyss I think I did see. Not by choice. (Got dragged to many movies as a kid. Raiders of the Lost Ark. The Empire Strikes Back. I had awful parents ;) ) Don't remember much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaaahhh! Dragged to Raiders and Empire Strikes Back! *shakes head* What am I going to do with you Liz?

      Don't worry, I still love you! ;)

      Delete
  8. Love both movies. I have a special edition Abyss at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) What's your favorite quotes from the movies?

      Delete
  9. Ah Doctor Who, the good ol days, I still go back to these posts you know, totally EPIC! I think it was the best theme and posts of 2014. Anyway, welcome back Charity :) I HATE Aliens, never actually finished any of those movies, freaked me out completely and gave me some terrible nightmares and YES she does save the girl don't ask how I know. I don't think I saw The Abyss...sounds like I would like it back then. Keep em rolling my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Haneen! Last year was perhaps the most epic fandom ride ever. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully there will be a movie or two this month you've seen and liked.

      Delete
  10. I will admit, your theme last year was awesome. (I'm not biased as all, I swear!) I don't think I've ever seen Alien or any of those movies. They came out when I was little and were too scary for me. Probably still are because I'm a wuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee. It's okay not to like scary movies. Not all of them this month are quite as terrifying as Alien. I'm working my way through all of the X-files for next year. I bet that was too scary too? ;)

      Delete
  11. I love your theme, so don't give up. Go to http://www.imdb.com and find what you need there.

    Here's my link if you'd like to drop by :-)

    Anna from Elements of Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I didn't give up. They're scheduled and ready to go. It just won't be as in depth as last year because I don't like rehashing what others say. I'd like to just give my opinion. Unfortunately I won't have an opinion on all of these. :(

      Delete
  12. Someone above commented on seeing Alien. I did see that one, and it really was scary/spooky, you name it.

    I also think this is a good theme. I hope you have a fun month with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great theme! Pfft let's not compare to the past A to Z's, you're gonna rock this one. Both movies were great, too. Nice choices ;)

    S.K. Anthony: Public Persona — IWSG (21)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my, I've seen both of those. I loved (LOVED!) Abyss. I didn't see Alien until much later in my life, but it was a really good movie. I still think about Abyss though. I even have the soundtrack. *sigh* what a movie that I still think fondly on it this many years later.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...