Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Lay Me Down by Tamara Hart Heiner

Have you heard of the new Kindle Scout Program? This is what replaced the Amazon Breakout Novel Award contest. The new set up is sort of like American Idol for authors. You throw your book into the mix and then advertise like crazy to get people to read an excerpt and nominate it if they are interested in reading more.

If you stay on the hot list, you could win a publishing contract from Amazon.


One of my best writing buddies (that I see in real life on a weekly, sometimes daily basis) decided to give it a try with her last book LAY ME DOWN. Maybe I'm biased because I got to help with edits of this book, but it is fantastic! Seriously, a week after reading the completed version I was still talking like Kylee. "I know, right?" I was still thinking about Price and how he would cope with everything. I'll stop here so there won't be any spoilers.

Well, Tamara is down to the last two days of this contest. Take a moment to go read the first three chapters of this great YA story. It's a little paranormal, or maybe goth? It's definitely suspenseful, heart wrenching and sweet all at the same time.

Here's the link for her page on Kindle Scout.

Blurb:
Life is more than just breathing.

Kylee Mansfield knows what it is to be alone. Her dad left when she was seven, and her mother remarried an abusive alcoholic. Kylee finds ways to escape reality, usually by substituting one pain for another. Things take a deadly turn when a jagged cut shows up on her arm, and she doesn't know where it came from. She enlists the help of her neighbor, Price Hudson, to help her uncover the truth. But Price shows her much more than just her past—he shows her what it is to be alive.

First page of CHAPTER ONE:


Kylee leaned against her bedroom door, her heart beating erratically. Even from here, she could hear Bill swearing and yelling in the living room. She squeezed her eyes shut. Why was he still going on? He should have forgotten about her by now.

“Please stay in the other room. Please stay in the other room,” she chanted to herself. She glanced down at her throbbing arm, noting the small rivulet of blood collecting in the corner of her elbow.

Her mom’s shouting mingled with Bill’s, and something large crashed into a wall. The single-story house rattled as Bill’s thundering footsteps approached.

“Kylee!” he roared, the full extent of his fury echoing in the one word.

She whimpered. Her eyes landed on the chair scooted against the wooden desk next to the closet. She lunged for it, intent on propping it under the doorknob like she had so many times in the past.

Barely had she vacated her spot by the door before it banged open, slamming into the opposite wall with its force. Kylee shrieked and spun around.

“I’m sorry,” she sputtered, her hands splayed out in front of her for protection. “I should have stayed out of it. I—”

He cut the rest of her apology off with a left hook to her jaw. Kylee stumbled backwards and went down to her knees, a little surprised she hadn’t seen that coming. Bill was angrier than usual.

Here's that link again--
Click HERE to read the complete first three chapters and to NOMINATE!

After you read the excerpt come back and tell me what you thought in the comments. Each person that reads and comments will get an entry into a giveaway for the audio version of FADE INTO ME or STELLAR CLOUD--winner's choice! I'll give away two copies on January first. Share this post and get another entry for the giveaway!

This is all on your honor. ;)
1 point--read and comment
1 point--sharing by tweet, facebook, word of mouth or whatever with other readers (mention what you did in the comments (#LayMeDown)


3 comments:

  1. Actually her story has three days left. My nominations are filled with three novels that have two days left. But this story was already among those I was considering to nominate next. When I nominate I use the ending soon section and pick those whose summaries I am most intrigued by. I just started using Kindle Scout earlier this month and so far one of the novels I nominated has been picked for Kindle Press. Tamara has a great story with Lay me down and I wish her the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you noticed her book! I'll keep you updated on what happens for her. Feel free to share her book with others you know.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...