Saturday, April 2, 2016

#AtoZchallenge B is for Black Holes

It's A to Z time again! This year I'm blogging about a variety of science related topics. Hope you enjoy!

B is for Black Hole.

I believe that anyone with an imagination that's every looked into space has at one time or another approached the event horizon of a black hole. The trick is not crossing that magical barrier where you can never return, right?

My mind churns with questions about black holes. What's really at the center? What if we could send a probe in and by some miraculous method receive the data back? What would we learn? What if we could harness the massive gravitational energy of a black hole? What if black holes are really doorways to other universes? And on and on.

I love this simplified video explaining black holes.

Of course, there's always this...

What do you think of when you hear black hole?

Click on the link to visit other participants in the A to Z Challenge. I'm currently #725

17 comments:

  1. I think of black holes when my day isn't going so well and things come out of nowhere, which have to be handled and weren't part of the daily plan. Sometimes, the sinking feeling of being out of control resembles my thoughts of a black hole. Great post Charity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of black holes, I always think of white holes, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Okay, that one threw me so I had to look it up. LOL, I think there are lots of white holes in my way of thinking.

      Delete
  3. Black holes both fascinate me and scare the crap out of me--that such a thing exists is so hard to wrap my mind around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Somewhere I heard that microscopic black holes could exist on earth--the Bermuda Triangle could be an example. That sparked all kinds of story ideas that I never finished. :(

      Delete
  4. Yeah, Black Hole Sun came to my mind, I'll admit it.
    Would we be crushed? Would we get through? Or would we return a place as horrifying as shown in the movie Event Horizon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love questions like that? I do. Makes life worth living when things get hard because there's still things to explore.

      Delete
  5. I've been fascinated by black holes ever since I read, "A Brief History of Time," by Stephen Hawking. Thanks for the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Stephen Hawking is amazing! I'll be blogging about him later this month.

      Delete
  6. I am enjoying the science themes this year. It is awful that I have never thought about black holes but have recently become so interested in science. Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Added the blog to a FaceBook page
    https://www.facebook.com/IIT-JEE-Notes-and-Revision-Study-Materials-104724466251565/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think of that movie. Do you remember the one? Where they went into a black hole and came out on the other side? 1980 or sometime near that. I think it was Disney.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I think of movies with black holes, I think of Space Odyssey 2001 and Interstellar.

      Delete
  9. I wonder if scientists/researchers will ever find out everything there is to know about black holes...they can't solve the mystery of The Bermuda Triangle...so probably not.

    Writer In Transit

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...