Thursday, April 7, 2016

#AtoZchallenge F is for Fusion


This year it's all about science!

I'm thinking about fusion engines that might be another option for space flight. Here's a great definition of nuclear fusion to get us started.

Nuclear fusion--

A nuclear reaction in which two small atomic nuclei fuse to form a larger one. The process releases large amounts of energy because the mass of the product is less than the mass of the fusing particles. The mass deficit corresponds to an energy release (according to Einstein's famous E=mc2 equation). Stars generate their energy by nuclear fusion. In the Sun hydrogen fuses to helium with the release of energy.

And because I'm addicted to watching science youtube videos, here's another one.

Here's one more just a little bit more nerdy. :)


While watching the videos again, I wondered why we couldn't place a small scale reactor inside cars. then we'd have fusion drive everyday!

Where would you use fusion energy?

Click on the link to visit other participants in the A to Z Challenge. I'm currently #691

5 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Charity. I was rubbish at science but I am enjoying your lessons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yay, I'm glad! I love science, but I'm not smart enough to actually be a physicist or anything cool. That's why I like finding and sharing videos that simplify things a bit for us normal folks.

      Delete
  2. Those were both very cool videos. How cool would it be if we could get to Mars in 30 days by 2020?! That's only 4 years away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Talk about an amazing summer vacation. :)

      Delete
  3. I think the problem with fusion reactors in cars is they're still working on the technology. It's not safe enough or cheap enough or something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...